• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Budgies and Lovebirds... I think my birds are broken

BirdyLV

Checking out the neighborhood
Budgies - It has been 30 years since I have bread birds, I am alone so I decide to start again. My Budgies have been chasing each other around, preening each other, doing the kissy thing. I put them in a breeding cage and added a box. I remember that Budgies like a warm place to breed so I set them up in my sun room where it is brighter and more natural light. I go out and mist them twice a day and on hot days I have a bird bath set up. Now they have stopped sitting together and won't go near the nest box. They are out there alone. Should I move my other Budgies out there for company?

Lovebirds - I have a Fischer and Blue Mask which I was told was a bonded pair and have mated before. To be sure I had them DNA tested. They do all the breeding things they are suppose to do. She has built a nest by ripping up paper I provided and mixed it in with the shavings. She is in the nest box all the time, only comes out to eat and poop. But nothing has happened in the box.

My Peachface are about the same as my Budgies, they were carrying on like it was time. They have a nest box and have been carryiing paper into the box and the hen is in and out all day. But nothing happend. I do have the lovebirds in breeding cages but in my birdroom in the corner with the other birds. Could this be a distraction? Could it be too cold in that room with the air conditioning running. The blinds are opened at 6 am and closed between 6 and 7 pm.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
How long have you had them? How long have they been mating and interested in the nest box? Are you positive of their ages? Sorry but unscrupulous people often sell old birds and tell you they are young and ready to breed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a Fischer and Blue Mask which I was told was a bonded pair
By ¨blue mask¨ you mean a Blue Personatus?
If you want to be a serious breeder then split this pair up ang give each bird a partner of their own species. Only a BYB would knowingly breed hybrids; not worth as much money and will affect lovebird genetics in the future.

I do have the lovebirds in breeding cages but in my birdroom in the corner with the other birds. Could this be a distraction? Could it be too cold in that room with the air conditioning running. The blinds are opened at 6 am and closed between 6 and 7 pm.
Lovebirds are rarely distracted by other birds. I think the Aircon and blinds could be the factors effecting them. Try leaving the blinds open for a 14 hour day, and lowering the A/C a little.

I´m also curious of the questions Matto asked. Where these your pets before? If you have had them a while, have you seen them mating before? And have you had any eggs from any of them?

Mocknbird

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Budgies - It has been 30 years since I have bread birds, I am alone so I decide to start again. My Budgies have been chasing each other around, preening each other, doing the kissy thing. I put them in a breeding cage and added a box. I remember that Budgies like a warm place to breed so I set them up in my sun room where it is brighter and more natural light. I go out and mist them twice a day and on hot days I have a bird bath set up. Now they have stopped sitting together and won't go near the nest box. They are out there alone. Should I move my other Budgies out there for company?

Lovebirds - I have a Fischer and Blue Mask which I was told was a bonded pair and have mated before. To be sure I had them DNA tested. They do all the breeding things they are suppose to do. She has built a nest by ripping up paper I provided and mixed it in with the shavings. She is in the nest box all the time, only comes out to eat and poop. But nothing has happened in the box.

My Peachface are about the same as my Budgies, they were carrying on like it was time. They have a nest box and have been carryiing paper into the box and the hen is in and out all day. But nothing happend. I do have the lovebirds in breeding cages but in my birdroom in the corner with the other birds. Could this be a distraction? Could it be too cold in that room with the air conditioning running. The blinds are opened at 6 am and closed between 6 and 7 pm.
It's not recommended to breed two separate species.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was referring to the Fischer's paired to a black masked.
Ahh yes ok. Zara did tell them that already. Hopefully they’ve made note and decided against that.

Jogging around the block
I thought it could be daylight hours but 12-13 hours of daylight sounds like it would probably be enough, you could increase it up to 14 hours if you want to be sure though. Have they had these daylight hours for very long? I heard once from a canary breeder that the first clutch would often fail (no eggs,infertile eggs,ect) if the birds had their daylight hours suddenly increased.
I have nothing to add to the other members questions apart from that, I wish you luck in figuring out what the problem is