• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Budgerigars

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Click the icon that looks like mountains & a sun next to the happy face above the text box where you type. Then select the file from your computer. People here can help you sex your budgies.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yeah, photos would be good. I'm still saying female recessive pied, but I'm adding much less than 10 months old (more like 4-5). A male RP will not have a blue cere, it starts off pink/violet and stays that way. Young females are blue.

Last edited:

Moe O'C

Moving in
Real Name
Maurice O'Connor
Thanks for the two previous responses.

I only acquired a smartphone a few months ago, and I'm still learning how to take pictures with it. Then I need to learn how to get the photos onto a computer. But as soon as I can figure out how to do it, I'll post some photos.

I got my white budgerigar around the beginning of November, so I've had it for about 4 1/2 months. It was a young petshop bird. I'm guessing that it was probably around 6 months or so when I got it. All the other young budgies in the flight cage at the petshop had some white around their nares (nostrils), and the one I picked out (with the exception of one) had the most blue, so I'm hoping it's a cock. The one exception was a green budgie which had an even bluer cere. But the white one had a more unusual color, which appealled to me.

From what I can see, it really does act like a cock. It approaches the hens with its head bobbing up & down, and seems to be trying to make friends with them. The older Yellow/Green Pied hen tolerates it for awhile, and seems to respond a little, but then she seems to get nervous, and flies away. She was the same way with my original Skyblue Opaline cock. The other hen (Yellow-Face Pastel) was very affectionate with the old cock, and would "present herself" to it, but although he got excited, he didn't seem to know quite what to do, and they never successfully mated. The 2 hens have always ignored each other, they aren't aggressive, but they aren't affectionate with each other, either. I suppose it's possible that the new bird might turn out to be a third hen. But if so, wouldn't it's cere eventually turn brown & wrinkled, instead of staying pale blue ? And why would it keep flirting with the two older hens ?

The nestboxes have been up for over a week now, and none of the birds is showing any interest at all in them, which is too bad. But whatever will be, will be.

Moe O'C

Moving in
Real Name
Maurice O'Connor
Well, It's been about 4 months since I last posted, so I think I'll post an update. But really, nothing much has changed since last March. It's now late summer. All 3 birds are doing fine, they are healthy and active. But neither of the hens has shown any interest in mating or breeding. They've never gone into either of the nestboxes, or shown any curiousity about them. The white bird I think is a bit over a year old now. He still has a pale pinkish/blue cere, and I don't think it will ever turn bright blue. But it acts just like a cock. It approaches the hens, bobs its head, and acts affectionate toward them. They sometimes do seem to respond a little, but then they fly away. They don't seem to have any interest in mating. Both hens have dark, crusty ceres, and they seem to be in good breeding condition, but lack any interest.

I will just have to be patient, and let things take their course. I keep the parrakeets in my bedroom, and have no room for an additional flight-cage, or for any additional birds, so I'll stick with the 3 birds that I already have, even if they're not inclined to breed.

They get a good commercial seed mix, with some pellets mixed in. I give them greens (dandelion, plantain, lettuce) or fruit (apple, pear, orange) each day, and they have a mineral-block and cuttlebone.

I'm still trying to learn how to post photos with the iphone I acquired last years. As soon as I can, I'll post some photos.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hit the attach files button just above the post reply button and you should get some options, select the photo library option and then select the photos you wish to share. Follow the prompts then post