• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding advice

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Ok, so i have a few finches, a male and three females. And i'm breeding them at the moment. They have a nest which they are weaving. And I was just wondering, does anyone have any advice on breeding zebra finches? As any advice is so much appreciated! Also i plan on getting another zebra finch male. And can two zebra finch females share a nest? Or do they need their own nest each?

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Also, do goldfinches breed with zebra finches? one of my female finches is actually a zebra finch.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Also, do goldfinches breed with zebra finches? one of my female finches is actually a zebra finch.

I don't know much about zebra breeding but creating hybrids is a very very very bad thing. It muddles the gene pool and creates individuals with health problems. Good thing that zebra and goldfinch finches CAN'T breed.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do research on what you are doing and spending time with another experienced breeder. There are many pitfalls in breeding any species of bird.

Adopt/Foster, but dontBreed

Last edited:

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
ok thank you, i definitely am not breeding the goldfinch with zebras, i hope to get another goldfinch to breed with it. I have done a bit of research on this subject, but more research is welcome! :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You need one more nest than you have pairs. So if there are 2 pairs, you need 3 nests (minimum). Also do you know about the height thing with finches? They don't like to be in the lower nest, so try to put them all at the same height, but not facing directly into another nest. If they do have to face each other, you can hang fake vines or flowers between them as a barrier.

Your zebras WILL breed with society finches and I think some other types, so it's best to stick with the species you have now.

Once your zebras have babies, the young can breed as early as 12 weeks -- and you don't want them cross breeding with the parents. So have a plan in place as to how to separate them.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck. Be careful breeding zebs, as they multiply really fast and people get overwhelmed from them. Don't be afraid to pull the nests and toss out eggs from feeders, etc. in order to keep from being overrun.