• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breed of the cockatiel

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lutino mom and pied father?

Chances are, you have a little girl! :)

And yeah... many reasons why birds may eat their own droppings...

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
Cockatiels breeders will commonly refer to this colour of tiel as a fawn as most a see cinnamons as commonly pearl with the rest of their body being white. I would say that this bird is a fawn pied or a cinnamon pied, could be either but generally reffered to as fawn.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Lutino mom and pied father?

Chances are, you have a little girl! :)

And yeah... many reasons why birds may eat their own droppings...
Don't know if mom lutino and father pied or vice versa. whether he or she have to wait and watch. :)

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Cockatiels breeders will commonly refer to this colour of tiel as a fawn as most a see cinnamons as commonly pearl with the rest of their body being white. I would say that this bird is a fawn pied or a cinnamon pied, could be either but generally reffered to as fawn.

Thanks:) I like the name fawn pied . It's too cute and adorable. Awww moment :heart::cheer:

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hi all ,
Update on the tiel
Looks like he has stopped munching on his poop. Have not seen him doing for a while .:)
Little tiel has become quite friendly with us.
Here are few of his/her characteristics which we have noticed
It seems quite attracted to mirror and tries to talk to it's own reflection , have never seen it hissing though it tried to attack initially when new in home, little fellow is very vocal . He tries giving it's inputs when we all are chatting although we cannot understand his language. picked a couple of words as well. Bangs it's beak when wants scritches.
I am typing and can hear it's beak grinding while it rests on my shoulder. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Great to hear he is doing so well!

However, please remove the mirror, it is not good for his mental health and can cause aggression or other unwanted behaviors.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Great to hear he is doing so well!

However, please remove the mirror, it is not good for his mental health and can cause aggression or other unwanted behaviors.
Thanks for suggestion Monica however
Mirror is not in the cage. He was on my shoulder and I was showing him the house that time I saw him trying to talk to the mirror. Will not take him near it. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That's good! Although, mirrors may also be a hazard to birds flying around. If he doesn't spend a lot of time with it, it's probably alright!

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Hi all,
Just wanted to know if he will loose his grey color feathers and turn into a lutino after the first molt. Little curious. I don't want him to loose these Colors. He looks so cute like this.

Another thing like lutinos are prone to night fright (Google says ) , is there and such type of characteristics of pied birds ..

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Another thing like lutinos are prone to night fright (Google says ) , is there and such type of characteristics of pied birds ..
All tiels are prone to the frights, I never noticed any correlation with mutation.
Think about where they live in the wild. At night it is dark but they do get a fair bit of light from the moon. So either don't cover at all or just leave the front of the cage uncovered, and provide one or two nightlights.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds do not change mutation. The only mutation that changes is pearl, and only in males. Male pearls tend to lose their pearls. Visually speaking, they are *STILL* a pearl, however they look like a normal grey. So no, your cinnamon pied wont become a lutino. :)

As mentioned, night frights isn't dependent on mutation. *ALL* cockatiels are prone to them.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
All tiels are prone to the frights, I never noticed any correlation with mutation.
Think about where they live in the wild. At night it is dark but they do get a fair bit of light from the moon. So either don't cover at all or just leave the front of the cage uncovered, and provide one or two nightlights.
Such a beautiful explanation of how they behave in wild with moon's example. I just went through my imagination , with birds sleeping on trees and moon giving them light. Amazing . Are you a poet BTW.:)
I keep a night lamp on once I put him for sleeping. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Birds do not change mutation. The only mutation that changes is pearl, and only in males. Male pearls tend to lose their pearls. Visually speaking, they are *STILL* a pearl, however they look like a normal grey. So no, your cinnamon pied wont become a lutino. :)

As mentioned, night frights isn't dependent on mutation. *ALL* cockatiels are prone to them.

What a relief. Although all cockatiels are beautiful, I loved this mutation which is called fawn/cinnamon pied. :) :heart::heart:

Will keep night frights thing in mind. Sometimes Google is too much :blink:

Last edited:

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's good! Although, mirrors may also be a hazard to birds flying around. If he doesn't spend a lot of time with it, it's probably alright!
I have two large mirrors, so I put window decals on my mirrors and my windows and doors. I highly recommend doing that. Congratulations on your tiel! :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My tiel would play with her droppings when she was little. I had to keep a watchful eye to pick up her poo before she decided to play with it. She outgrew her curiousity of it , thankfully , around the age of 5-6 months :D

mat webb

Meeting neighbors
Cockatiels breeders will commonly refer to this colour of tiel as a fawn as most a see cinnamons as commonly pearl with the rest of their body being white. I would say that this bird is a fawn pied or a cinnamon pied, could be either but generally referred to as fawn.
I am going to fix my mistake, this bird I think is a pied, just a normal pied or cinnamon pied unless it has red eyes, then it is a pied fawn. It is hard to tell the difference between the cinnamons and fawns but fawns always have red eyes varying from dark to bright.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
I am going to fix my mistake, this bird I think is a pied, just a normal pied or cinnamon pied unless it has red eyes, then it is a pied fawn. It is hard to tell the difference between the cinnamons and fawns but fawns always have red eyes varying from dark to bright.

Thanks for your effort in helping out finding it's breed :)
It doesn't have red but my daughter says it has dark blue eyes. Is it possible ?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks for your effort in helping out finding it's breed :)
It doesn't have red but my daughter says it has dark blue eyes. Is it possible ?
Your daughter may have just seen the reflection of something blue. A blue wall? Was she wearing a blue top/dress?