• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breathing

Betty1957

Moving in
Real Name
Betty kempski
Ok I don’t know if I am being a paranoid mama or not. But my 25 day old cockatiel after eating and making a complete piggy of himself. Did something I have never seen him do before. I use a syringe that has a rubbery small tube on the end to feed him. Usually around 106* temp and he is 39.05 g so he is eating between 8-9 ml each feeding. Well he gulped today and reared back. So I gave him a second. Figured he got over anxious. He is a jumper when eating.hold on tight. But then I was worried about this so when I put him back in his brooder he went to sleep but I noticed he was breathing strong. Full tummy. I have never watched him just sleep but out of worry for him I did this time. He never coughed sneezed or fell over when he was eating. Is this behavior normal and I just be a paranoid mom? He was ravenous his second feeding and did well. And I noticed a new activity. He plays with his tongue in his mouth just like he just noticed he has one….

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Food temp should be no higher than 105F

Your bird weighs 39.05, so you should be feeding 3.9CC per feed (4CC. I would only give 5CC max). Feeding too much can cause problems with breathing, crop movement, overstretched crop.

Personally I don't like to gavage feed if not needed, I like to use a syringe without the rubber tube, it allows the bird to learn to eat and creates an easier transition during the weaning period. Was there a reason you are using the tube? If it was because he wasn´t eating at an earlier stage, be sure to try again now he´s older and more comfortable around you.

Thread moved to the Nursery forum for better visibility.