• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breakfast list

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Hello there.
I had previously said that Pasha ate hand-fed food morning and evening.I don't give him morning hand feeding anymore. To be able to feed more diverse. I learned that Pasha likes to eat soft dishes.

-Brown rice and some fruit cooked for breakfast on Monday
-Oats and some fruit cooked in hot water for breakfast on Tuesday
-Cooked pasta and some fruit for breakfast on Wednesday
-Baked sweet potatoes and some cooked peas for breakfast on Thursday
-Thoroughly baked beans and baked chickpeas for breakfast on Friday
-Baked lentils and some fruit for breakfast on Saturday
-Baked oats and baked carrots for breakfast on Sunday

I wonder your comments about this list. I need your opinion.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is just my opinion, but that’s far and away too much fruit. Four days of cooked fruit, plus a day of carrots and a day of sweet potato. My avian vet looks at corn, carrots, and sweet potatoes as “sugars” because they’re so high in carbohydrate, and as such they’re counted as fruit category.

Since he likes mash consistency, can you make up Birdy bread or muffins or pancakes? Yellow/red/orange bell peppers soften nicely and would be an awesome breakfast. Quinoa is soft, and is good warm. Sprouted mixes blend wonderfully with a little oatmeal! My crew loves that for a warm breakfast.

Many people also feed scrambled eggs to their birds, so if your vet is okay with it that’s another option.

I don’t like to do more than 10% of the entire diet to be fruit.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t feed fruit that often and when I do offer fruit it’s usually small amounts of blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or mango- Burt really really loves grapes and bananas but they’re not offered all that often- maybe every few weeks.

Cooked or raw pumpkin, red yellow and orange capsicum, raw fresh or dried chilli, cooked or raw peas or green beans, cooked sweet potato (always cooked!), lightly steamed broccoli or kale.. all these are very regularly fed and are used as a base for most of Burt’s veggie breakfasts/ breads/other meals. I do give other veggies too, it just depends on what we have, what I find at shopping or have grown in the yard- the veggies I’ve listed are foods I’ll happily feed everyday if Burt wants them. He loves the fresh seeds from the pumpkins!!

I also regularly feed cooked chickpeas, cooked red, black, brown or wild rice, cooked buckwheat, cooked barley, cooked black beans, cooked lentils, and I also give him cooked quinoa and pastas made from buckwheat, lentils, green peas etc.

I also use chia, rolled oats, hemp seed, ground flax and other things like sesame seeds.

There are so many things I feed Burt but not everything is suitable as a daily food especially those things high in sugars and fats.

If Pasha is still quite young then you really want to offer a lot of fresh food varieties and try to steer clear of lots of fruits- you don’t want problems with too much sugars or with a fussy bird who only eats sweet things.

Oh- Burt also gets a couple of nuts every day and that will usually be almond or walnut but he also gets pine nuts, macadamia, pecan, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, pistachios- any nut that is not peanut. Almond and walnut are definitely fed daily here but the other nuts are not, they are used more as treats and rewards for special behaviours.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
This is just my opinion, but that’s far and away too much fruit. Four days of cooked fruit, plus a day of carrots and a day of sweet potato. My avian vet looks at corn, carrots, and sweet potatoes as “sugars” because they’re so high in carbohydrate, and as such they’re counted as fruit category.

Since he likes mash consistency, can you make up Birdy bread or muffins or pancakes? Yellow/red/orange bell peppers soften nicely and would be an awesome breakfast. Quinoa is soft, and is good warm. Sprouted mixes blend wonderfully with a little oatmeal! My crew loves that for a warm breakfast.

Many people also feed scrambled eggs to their birds, so if your vet is okay with it that’s another option.

I don’t like to do more than 10% of the entire diet to be fruit.
I don’t feed fruit that often and when I do offer fruit it’s usually small amounts of blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or mango- Burt really really loves grapes and bananas but they’re not offered all that often- maybe every few weeks.

Cooked or raw pumpkin, red yellow and orange capsicum, raw fresh or dried chilli, cooked or raw peas or green beans, cooked sweet potato (always cooked!), lightly steamed broccoli or kale.. all these are very regularly fed and are used as a base for most of Burt’s veggie breakfasts/ breads/other meals. I do give other veggies too, it just depends on what we have, what I find at shopping or have grown in the yard- the veggies I’ve listed are foods I’ll happily feed everyday if Burt wants them. He loves the fresh seeds from the pumpkins!!

I also regularly feed cooked chickpeas, cooked red, black, brown or wild rice, cooked buckwheat, cooked barley, cooked black beans, cooked lentils, and I also give him cooked quinoa and pastas made from buckwheat, lentils, green peas etc.

I also use chia, rolled oats, hemp seed, ground flax and other things like sesame seeds.

There are so many things I feed Burt but not everything is suitable as a daily food especially those things high in sugars and fats.

If Pasha is still quite young then you really want to offer a lot of fresh food varieties and try to steer clear of lots of fruits- you don’t want problems with too much sugars or with a fussy bird who only eats sweet things.

Oh- Burt also gets a couple of nuts every day and that will usually be almond or walnut but he also gets pine nuts, macadamia, pecan, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, pistachios- any nut that is not peanut. Almond and walnut are definitely fed daily here but the other nuts are not, they are used more as treats and rewards for special behaviours.
Thank you for the valuable information.