• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brand new Conure help!

CarlyRose

Moving in
Hey there! I adopted a conure from her previous owner a couple of days ago, and she is just the sweetest thing!! she sings and dances with me, lets me give her head scratches, eats treats out of my hand, and is otherwise acting really comfortable in her new home!!
The only problem is that she won't step up. She's not acting super territorial or scared, she just ignores my hand.
I'm fairly new to birds, but I do have a little experience from the local pet shop I work at. I know that birds usually need a bit of time before they're totally comfortable with you. Is there something I could be missing, or misreading, or am I just trying to get her to step up too quickly?
Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps she never learned? I had to teach all my conures to step up.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
She probably needs some step-up training lessons. :)

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Like everyone else said she just needs to learn. :)
Her previous owner might have used a stick or something when getting her to step up. I think I've seen some people use stuff like that because they're afraid of bites or something.

What kind of Conure is she?
Have you posted pictures?

Conures are amazing :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Normally, I would say she needs more time to adjust but it sounds like she has adjusted very quickly to her new home. Will she step up on a perch or on your arm rather than a finger? My tiel actually prefers stepping up on my hand. I lay it flat and he walks on it. I think he feels less forced, for lack of a better word, doing it that way.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd try gently pressing a finger to her belly and telling her 'step up' firmly, in case that was how she was taught and what she expects. You might also try offering your arm. If she still doesn't know what to do or seems uncomfortable, then you might need to start my luring her onto your hand with a treat or target stick if you do target training.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I highly recommend target training. I would hate for you to ruin the relationship you have built so far by trying to force her into things

CarlyRose

Moving in
Thank you so much for the advice you guys! I'll start trying to train her soon and see how she responds :) I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I have a million of them so I'll do that. She's absolutely stunning! (But then again I might be biased...)

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
She may not know how to step-up yet? Or she's just not comfortable with "that" action yet regardless of her other actions so far? Maybe she only steps up on a dowel or other type of stick?

Also,

:needpics:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am having a similar problem but in addition to never having learned, being partially wild, Amada's little legs aren't right and spread far apart so she has problems stepping onto things. I agree with the lure and/or target training. An open hand is a good step towards that finger if she is willing to step onto the hand for a treat.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
She looks SOO wonderful!!

Just take things slow! Enjoy what you have, focus what you want, and love what will be! But do it all on the bird's therms! Let her set the boundaries, and respect them as such :)

Thats how i got my neglected Amazon from 0 to 50 in just 7 weeks :)

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Hi Gabby!

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
She's adorable! Just have patience and work with her on the step up issue. it may be easier from the back of a chair

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Adding in my tip, Yuka never wanted to step up if I pressed my finger on her belly. And usually that left me with a bite.
But if I placed my finger near her beak, she'll step up with her beak.

So if placing your finger near Gabby's tummy doesn't work, try putting it near her beak.
She's beautiful by the way, congrats! :)