• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

branches from outside

animalover

Jogging around the block
my dad cut some of our trees earlier today, one of them was Bougainvillea tree, me and my sister went outside and cut some branches off, the trees are not dead they were just obstructing our path so my dad had to cut them, they were sticky and the bark was green when peeled, which I guess is normal for a tree that was just cut, anyways, we have the trees soaking in a water vinegar solution at the moment, and we will bake them later today, anything else we should do before putting it in their cage? I would also like to use this tree for a play gym, like just the branches and some toys.

Last edited:

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
That is such an awesome idea! I have no knowledge about tree but I would love to make a natural tree for my bird/office room for the fids!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm afraid I have no advice, but I'm definitely following!

animalover

Jogging around the block
As long as the sap is dried so it can't get on your bird, you should be fine :)
so ive went and searched around, I saw no mentions of the bougainvillea branches being safe, but that the foliage is, is it still safe to use? ive worked so hard and dont want to do everything for nothing, so im a bit skeptical, if it is safe, would it be fine if the birds chew through and remove bark, etc.. or no?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

I have just checked a heap of lists (not just the linked ones) and I can not find what you have, not on the good or the bad list! :( I have been in this exact same situation and chose to be safe rather than possibly sorry and I did not use the branches that I could not find a safe listing for. Ultimately the choice is up to you but the gamble may not pay off for you.

This link Perches » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast has some other information regarding natural perches so it may be helpful to you... I am not quite sure but most of your perches look a little thin to me for even a budgie.

I also think the plant you got your branches from is a vine not a tree? If so then that could possibly be why we can not find any mention of it.

animalover

Jogging around the block

I have just checked a heap of lists (not just the linked ones) and I can not find what you have, not on the good or the bad list! :( I have been in this exact same situation and chose to be safe rather than possibly sorry and I did not use the branches that I could not find a safe listing for. Ultimately the choice is up to you but the gamble may not pay off for you.

This link Perches » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast has some other information regarding natural perches so it may be helpful to you... I am not quite sure but most of your perches look a little thin to me for even a budgie.

I also think the plant you got your branches from is a vine not a tree? If so then that could possibly be why we can not find any mention of it.
its a shrub? ive searched on the forum I found mentions of people using it because of the flowers, the branches are different sizes, took me a while to break them, 8107793F-E000-4F3E-9FDB-E92D59A7F025.jpeg
this is one of the thick ones but isn’t the thickest, the rest are around dowel perch sizes. I won’t risk it unless I know it’s completely safe, I spent 4+ hrs outside chopping and cutting the branches, I still have hope for them but if in the end it’s confirmed unsafe, I’ll give up on them.

animalover

Jogging around the block
ive searched more and found that the bougainvillea is part of the four o' clocks, and that their sap is toxic, If eaten. and the thorns are also bad, but I have some pieces that came completely without thorns, wont baking them dry the sap? or is it still bad to use.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This link says it's safe Safe & Toxic Plant Lists - Parrots

Safe but beware of thorns

animalover

Jogging around the block
This link says it's safe Safe & Toxic Plant Lists - Parrots

Safe but beware of thorns

do you think I should go for it?? would it be safe if they remove the bark?

animalover

Jogging around the block
ive decided to go for it..ill make sure the sap is completely dried from the baking, and ill make sure to leave it in the sun for a while. only a few pieces would go in their cage, and the big ones would go for the play gym, tho im not sure how I can fit it in the oven without it touching the sides, wish me luck everyone!
and thank you to anyone who helped!! :)

nayum

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I'm a first time bird owner and I'm also planning to use bougainvillea for outside their cage and inside their cage. How is it going so far for you???
Is it safe since u dried the sap?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is classified as a vine, however there is one that is a tree as it grows a trunk. Does the one you have cut from have a trunk or a vine type of growth? Thorns. Toxicity The sap of the bougainvillea plant is only mildly toxic, but if ingested in large enough quantities, it can lead to illness. Bougainvillea’s leaves are not toxic, but a prick from the plant’s sharp thorns can lead to dermatitis, a skin rash typically caused by an allergic reaction. (copied from internet)

I loved making branches from trees. The one I liked best was the willow tree branches as it has twist and bends in the branches. I also removed the bark just in case it had critters in it.

Last edited: