• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

branches from outside

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@Lady Jane -- I wanted to warn you about using Willow branches.. I put Curly Willow branches in our LB cage, which she enjoyed chewing.. Didn't realize that willow contains a form of aspirin... took her awhile to recover from it's toxicity once I realized there was a problem.
I'm going to read up on the link above-- 'bird safe, toxic'..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Lady Jane -- I wanted to warn you about using Willow branches.. I put Curly Willow branches in our LB cage, which she enjoyed chewing.. Didn't realize that willow contains a form of aspirin... took her awhile to recover from it's toxicity once I realized there was a problem.
I'm going to read up on the link above-- 'bird safe, toxic'..
I'm curious what kind of toxicity she experienced? While it is true that that willow has some natural pain relief qualities (black and white willow seem to have higher amounts), I've been using willow in my cages for a decade and have never had any adverse effects. That's with several bird species as well as rats.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@Mizzely -- boy, it's been quite awhile ago... think she became lethargic, droppings different, less appetite. She did get better, but then during a somewhat stressful transport a year later, she didn't last long afterward.