• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brag a bit

Valentino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Teri

I just can't get over how friendly V has become. I got her in March and she loves this. She'll sit with me all night just to be scratched behind her head. She acts like it puts her in a trance almost. She steps up for me from inside her cage and she comes out all the time when I'm home. I'm so glad I adopted her and brought her home :)

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
What a sweetie! I hope I can get my macaws to this point of trust. :heart:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
One of the best ways to lower your blood pressure there is.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She'll sit with me all night just to be scratched behind her head
I glad you adopted her and things are going well but be careful what you do. You run the risk of creating an unhealthy "over bonding" situation that will come back to haunt you. Conditioning them to that constant attention will turn into expecting/demanding that much attention forever forward. When you can't keep it (because nobody can forever) is when it will cause issues.

Better to be a teacher and guide than an snuggle bunny. :)

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
V is just adorable! Remember, what you do now will be expected throughout her life. With our flock I have learned to give loving attention but also remembering that hormonal years are not far away and I am not their mate which changes the dynamic.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
What an adorable bird. Can barely tell her apart from my Picaso! I would buy a climbing net, and have a place for her to play, and somewhere you can sit and be on the computer, tv, etc. Then hopefully she can fly or climb over to you part of the time, and then play on her own at other times. That way you create a great balance of independent play, and cuddle time. Trust me, after maybe 10 years you will appreciate a bit of time to do some work, watch a show, etc. It will not change her wanting head scritches. All 4 of my birds will play on the net, put some toys on it with plastic baby clips, and they will have a hard time not having a ton of fun.

Valentino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Teri
She's content to sit on her cage too and when she's done being scratched on she'll let me know she wants to go back over to her cage.

especially with teenagers!...but just in case telling them "You Are NOT A DUCK!" works very well.. after I got over being furious with my boys.. years ago now, yay.
She does make a really LOUD almost quacking noise some times, especially when I leave the room right after I get home from work. Last night Harrison and I decorated the Christmas tree, in the living room in front of her cage. She was hooping and hollering the entire time it was kind of hilarious. She was more excited by the tree than my toddler was.

I've recently bought a house I'm in the process of remodeling. I can't wait to get moved out there because I'm so nervous my new neighbors in the townhouse next to me are going to get irritated with her. She's not particularly noisy, but when she wants to be, we all know she can be!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Valentino is beautiful :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you have a good relationship with your neighbors, you might have them over to meet her, educate them about macs, inform that she's a baby, and that you won't be there forever.