• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Boy" 'tiel presenting like a lady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
Does this happen?

I'm starting to think maybe Mr. Sunshine is Miss Sunshine. But that seems strange. "He" has always been super-vocal, says some words, can whistle tunes and repeat things. He's also "done the deed" with CC at least 4-5 times that I've observed, before she laid eggs.

But today, he was near her nest box, making the heart wings and that "come hither" sound like she does when she's ready to mate. So....

What is going on :confused::confused: Is it possible that a FEMALE 'tiel would "hump" another female? Or do boys ever act like that for some other reason?

(If need be, I can post a video of the "humping"...but I think you all have an idea of what that looks like.)

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Boys make heart wings, I can't remember their vocalizations as much. I had a pair of female budgies that simulated mating once or twice that I saw.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well our female tiel also talks, does heart wings and struts....I could swear she also humped an old dragon ornament of mine...however, she also lays eggs..so stranger things have happened.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Male birds can present and females can mount and hump. Bokka presented to me like a hen when I was preening him. And he furiously humped too.

Mali, hen, has humped and presented. Opa, male, has too. Mera has presented and humped, she is 2!

Moby is the only one who hasn't presented like a hen like all my captive raise cockatoos.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Male birds can present and females can mount and hump. Bokka presented to me like a hen when I was preening him. And he furiously humped too.

Mali, hen, has humped and presented. Opa, male, has too. Mera has presented and humped, she is 2!

Moby is the only one who hasn't presented like a hen like all my captive raise cockatoos.
All I can hear is a trombone in my head: "Wah waaaah." So much for knowing if Sunshine is male or female! Ack! And pied 'tiels are almost IMPOSSIBLE to sex visually.

One day I'll just have to have the bloodwork done. Clearly it doesn't matter -- CC's going to lay either way. But it'd be nice to know if I should prep for TWO egglayers...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
do you have a pick of Sunshine..specifically the tail.??

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Anne, I don't yet, but I can snap one! I'll get on it. I can't tell whether it has the bars or not...but I'm inexperienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pied feathers will not have any gender markings on them whatsoever. If it helps though, pictures of Tomi Girl, an all female (light) pied tiel!

As per your videos (TwoBirdsAndACat - YouTube), it appears he has a barred tail feather... now, if he's over a year old, this would indicate female. Behavior is indicating male, so either you have a late bloomer, or one frisky and talented hen! :rofl:

Tomi Girl does this whistle or says "pretty bird". It's not quite clear but it sounds about the same!

meaggiedear

Real Name
Meagan
what's stopping you from getting him sexed? it's $20 with avianbiotech through the mail. i broke down and did it with ama bc we thought he was girl until he started singing. i was a little devastated and in denial about it, so i felt like i had to do it. i got my results back two days after i sent the sample off.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
$20 is a week's worth of human food here. Just not worth it!

Did get a capture of Sunshine's tail...take a peek!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349228231.087032.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349228250.558013.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349228261.437124.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
no wonder your bird is presenting like a lady...that bird is a GIRL... females have the yellow underbarring on their tail feathers...girl girl girl...

sammit

Strolling the yard
you cant tell with pied tiels the sex. tail barring and wing spots do not work. Sere my male pied tiel had tail feathers just like your photos above. and he was all boy.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
That's what I thought too! The way my a-vet explained it, there is no physical characteristic in a pied 'tiel that allows visual sexing. But I've heard mixed things.

I am curious about it. When we go in for the annual wellness we'll have to ask :)

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Same sex mating isn't uncommon in tiels as far as I know. It happens a LOT with our tiels at the zoo during mating season, though I've noticed its usually male with a male. We don't sex our birds, but we usually find out eventually when eggs start appearing and the girls sit on them.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
my girlie is a pied....and the tail barring worked..how do I know..she laid eggs..I would bet my last dollar that your bird is a female.

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
Anne, Sunshine DOES sit on CC's eggs....I don't know if that means anything, though :) I don't care what his/her gender is, it's just too funny...here I thought I knew for sure, since they'd had birdy "coitus"....but apparently even that's not enough! Bri, that's really too funny. Apparently I have lesbian 'tiels and gay cats...what a household we are ;)

I will keep an eye on Sunshine just in case eggs appear. But so far he/she hasn't seemed nesty. We'll see!! I will love him/her just the same, so no matter :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
you cant tell with pied tiels the sex. tail barring and wing spots do not work. Sere my male pied tiel had tail feathers just like your photos above. and he was all boy.

I would be interested in knowing more about Sere... i.e. age? photos? sex determined by? I'm curious to know, as I have yet to come across a pied tiel that you could not sex via the bars/spots on the non-pied feathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.