• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boy or girl?

Toots

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alisa
Hello:)

I've had my linnie for about 2 years now. Recently moved to my own place so finally can get him/her a mate. However, I'm struggling with identifying its sex since it's colour is quite similar throughout and doesn't have any black specks - apparently the main feature to look for when trying to sex a linnie. I'm kind of wary of DNA tests just because I feel uncomfortable of plucking its feathers/collecting blood. Judging by its behaviour and lack of any particular markings we think it's more of a female but still not sure. Maybe someone else has/had the same colour variation and can advice what it can be?

I'd appreciate any advice

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For blood collection, my vet just clips a toe nail a little short and gets a sample that way. :) Super easy to do and easy to stop the blood when you're done. I'm sadly no expert on visually sexing birds though!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sexed my Linnie by the feather plucking method since the only way we can do it at my vets takes too much blood. I felt horrible but I felt it was necessary to know for the future if I needed to be prepared for possible egg binding or other gender specific issues.
Bosco wasn't even phased by the feather plucking my vet was so quick and efficient I stressed more than he did.

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
It looks like you have a greywing mutation there:

"Hens are always single factor, but will always look double factor. Knowing parentage will help make the determination if visual sexing is possible." Do you know your bird's parentage or can you find out?