• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boy or Girl?

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I'm talking about the Budgie in my profile picture and in this picture. I'm going to the store again soon to see them and will try to take a clearer picture then, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell through this? It look like a female cere.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
We were told Sola our budgie was a male. She has the traditional yellow/green/black budgie. She came with a much lighter bluish/pink tint Ceres and now is currently pink. Our blue guy is about five months old and his ceres is blue.

Your budge looks female. Budgies go from pale to darker depending on whether the conditions are right and if they are hormonal. They are mature at about 8-9 months, pretty fast for the parrot world. There are some that change but it's usually female to male (pink-blue and it isn't too common the other way), specific genetic and nutritional factors aside.

Sexing Parakeets (Budgerigars or Budgies).

This one goes on to add some additional visual differences.

Below you can see Remi a male who is about 3 months old, his is blue Sola is about 8 months old and her dares is white/blue but we believe it will become a darker white or brown as she gets older.

Remi (Male) : Sola (female).jpg M

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Female :)

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
So it's safe to assume it's a female. Is it still worth getting a DNA test to make sure or nah?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I wouldn't bother with a DNA test. Budgies are pretty easy to tell gender once they're adults. The brown and crusty cere gives her away :)