• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bowl accident

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I just got home and my conure Floki was stuck in the ring his food bowl is in. Thankfully there doesn’t seem to be any damage, he was only stuck for too long I think(my partner put them back in their cages 15 minutes ago). He started to try to move when I approached him. I opened the food door and pulled the food bowl out and he immediately crawled out and latched on my hand, gotta love his spirit haha.

Are these food rings safe in any way? I am thinking of getting crock bowls just in case. None of the bowls I have for perfectly in the rings I believe, but I do have about 14 SS bowls spread all over the house se would have to check if one fits without a gap. I do have some smaller ones but then I would worry about a head getting stuck. I never even noticed the gap prior to this incident, I am glad I could quickly help out and he wasnt stuck for hours, who knows what would have happened then. Now I have looked closely, it is obvious there is gap.
Excuse their mess, would you believe I change the papers every evening haha. Floki likes to rip up paper.
image.jpg
P
Thankfully Floki doesn’t seem to have any discomfort and is swinging from his stuff like nothing happened. 314502F6-AF2D-4E46-A5A3-D4B3845FDA91.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no poor sweetie. Thank goodness you found him in time. I've always been nervous about cages that have bowls attached by rings. I much prefer to buy my own attachable SS bowls that I can attach anywhere and I know they sit snuggly in the ring.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh no! Poor thing.

Is it one of the loops that you connect on the outside of the cage? You tighten the wing nut and it tightens the loop?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh no! Poor thing.

Is it one of the loops that you connect on the outside of the cage? You tighten the wing nut and it tightens the loop?
No but similar. A ‘cage’ for the bowl.
Really common here and hadn’t read about the danger before. I know larger birds can get stuck if it doesn’t hold a bowl, but he little gaps only caught my attention after the accident. I didn’t use them for my lovies usually(this is their old cage) except for when someone else watched them for me. Floki is like a raptor when you touch his food and water bowl so they have come in handy now.
image.jpg

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh no poor sweetie. Thank goodness you found him in time. I've always been nervous about cages that have bowls attached by rings. I much prefer to buy my own attachable SS bowls that I can attach anywhere and I know they sit snuggly in the ring.
I am going to do that too, I already have a few but they are treat bowls haha. Have ordered larger ones.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No but similar. A ‘cage’ for the bowl.
Really common here and hadn’t read about the danger before. I know larger birds can get stuck if it doesn’t hold a bowl, but he little gaps only caught my attention after the accident. I didn’t use them for my lovies usually(this is their old cage) except for when someone else watched them for me. Floki is like a raptor when you touch his food and water bowl so they have come in handy now.
View attachment 422412
Ohhhhh I see!

Is there anything you can use to fill the gap while you’re waiting for larger bowls? What about wrapping the loops in hemp or vet wrap?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So glad Floki is ok and you found him swiftly!

Is that a Montana cage?

I have those style cage bowl things in one cage (currently in storage), I prefer to attach my own bowls, more for the bowls being too big for my lovebirds, but I did leave one for water and never had issues. I can completely understand how an accident could happen though. Montana themselves even got rid of this style of bowl holder from their cages, and made the new doors with SS D cups that just push through and clip in (not my fave type of bowl either, and the doors were bulkier - my Aldora actually got her toenail stuck under the rim of the SS bowl on those in a freak accident), I sold my newer Montana cage.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh no that must have been scary glad he’s ok and I hope your over shock too

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So glad Floki is ok and you found him swiftly!

Is that a Montana cage?

I have those style cage bowl things in one cage (currently in storage), I prefer to attach my own bowls, more for the bowls being too big for my lovebirds, but I did leave one for water and never had issues. I can completely understand how an accident could happen though. Montana themselves even got rid of this style of bowl holder from their cages, and made the new doors with SS D cups that just push through and clip in (not my fave type of bowl either, and the doors were bulkier - my Aldora actually got her toenail stuck under the rim of the SS bowl on those in a freak accident), I sold my newer Montana cage.
Yeah Montana:) It is indeed the older style, it is half the double one. I think we will build an ss wire cage for them, so we can customise food doors. Still have a bunch of wire left from the aviary. When I used it for the lovebirds, like you I kept the water bowl holder but took the others out. Wow, scary Aldora got stuck too! I will watch for that type of danger more closely from now on. What type of bowls do you use now?

Ohhhhh I see!

Is there anything you can use to fill the gap while you’re waiting for larger bowls? What about wrapping the loops in hemp or vet wrap?
They have three snack bowls for their food spread over their cage for now :lol: Encourages them to be more active at least. Great idea though!! Myspare water bowls are a bit(Uhm a lot) too large, or so tiny they can’t bath so will do that for the water bowl.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh how scary. Glad you found him in time and everything worked out well. I would not use them rings unless you can get bowls to fit properly in them so there are no gaps.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Maybe put this bowl set up in the dangerous toy thread in safety forum. Its not a toy but others should be cautious. Good thing you were not gone a long time.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I'm glad to hear you were able to find him and find a solution for the bowls ;)