• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourkes~Male Plucking Female

courgrif

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
Hello All!

I am new to this forum and I need some advice on my Bourkes parakeets. I have 2
And they are a bonded pair. They have laid 2 clutches of eggs. 1 infertile and need to candle current clutch My female has not been sitting on her eggs. I kept hearing odd sounds(defensive sounds) from them and when I checked her today she is bald on her back from him pulling her feathers out. I seperated them and cages are right next to each other. I was in another forum and asked people about it. If I was doing the right thing by seperating them. My concern is that he would continue mating with her and hurt her. I believe they have been mating everyday. Has anyone else dealt with this before? I feel really bad seperating them. Thank you. Court'

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Courtney :)

I know it feels bad to have to separate them, but you are doing it for the safety of your hen.

@Monica

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I know @MKMDDN has a bourkes.

I had a similar problem with my red rumps.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ah jeez,

I've only ever had a single Bourkie, so unfortunately I don't know much about pairs. Separation seems like the right route to go in order to keep everyone happy and healthy!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the male is going after the hen, then he is likely to go after the chicks as well, if there are any. This could have the potential to teach the chicks to go after their own mates/flock/chicks in the future and create a cycle.

Better to separate and perhaps look for a new mate for the hen if you *really* want to be breeding them.

courgrif

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Courtney
Thank you everyone for your replies. Apple (hen) has continued to sit on her eggs and she wasn't. I really hated seperating them...But, it was the right decision to keep her safe. What a great forum this is ❤. Thanks again everyone from the bottom of my bird loving heart.

Reactions: Ali

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:welcomeavenue: I don't know if you'll be able to put them back in the same cage again, but sure glad your female is safe now. Poor baby! I hope they won't be too stressed from the separation.

Reactions: Ali