• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Bourkes make horrible pets

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
They are really good "starter" birds, the best thing about them is they are very social, NEVER get wild wild, not even if you don't spend time with them, and they LOVE PEOPLE and TRAVELING. My bourke goes nuts when we get into a car, even if we're going to go to the vet.
I am so very glad to have found this thread, as I was about to post in order to ask how Bourke's typically handle travel by car. (I'm considering getting a Bourke's in the future; occasional out-of-town travel--about a 2.5-hour drive--would be a possibility, especially now that I know at least some Bourke's enjoy travel.)

My parents had two Bourke's--a male and a female, housed separately, but side by side--that were sweethearts, especially the male. That lil' whipper-snapper didn't even have to be taught to fly to my outstretched finger. The first time, I held up/out my right index finger, called his name and, then, tapped my right finger with my left one. He immediately flew to/perched on my finger and did so on command thereafter. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it firsthand.

L

Lynn96

I agree, bourkes make excellent pets. I had the pleasure of having a little hen, I later let her go to a lady with a male Bourke. She is really happy now.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
I agree, bourkes make excellent pets. I had the pleasure of having a little hen, I later let her go to a lady with a male Bourke. She is really happy now.
Did she seem unhappy in terms of being an only bird--or at least an only Bourke?

My parents' Bourke's were fun, but the male was particularly hilarious. If we tried to play Monopoly, he'd land on the board and start throwing around our houses and hotels. From the perspective of someone tiny enough to fit inside those tiny, plastic buildings, Andy would've looked like a beautiful monster bird. :D

L

Lynn96

Did she seem unhappy in terms of being an only bird--or at least an only Bourke?

My parents' Bourke's were fun, but the male was particularly hilarious. If we tried to play Monopoly, he'd land on the board and start throwing around our houses and hotels. From the perspective of someone tiny enough to fit inside those tiny, plastic buildings, Andy would've looked like a beautiful monster bird. :D
Lol it's funny she was a early bloomer you could say. Always had mating on her mind, even when she was so young. So I thought why not let her go to someone with another Bourke. Your parents Bourke sounds cute, bourkes are so beautiful.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
:omg:What, there such a thing has a parrot that's not a good pet.
:ittalks!:Nope don't believe it.

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES.

:penguinlaughs:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Such an adorable little peep!

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sorry guys! I haven't been around in a long while, but I wanted to thank you all for your kind comments :).

Dragonseer, I don't think you could go wrong with a Bourke. I've had Citrus for almost two years now and she has been very versatile and adapts to new situations really quickly.

When I first got her we had to do a 1800km (!!!!) trip back home and she did wonderful! Always chirping and looking through the window. She also enjoys going to the vet or even being outside. When I moved two weeks ago we had to walk a block and she was super happy.

My girl loves company, loves meeting new people and preen them. She once let a friend pet her, and yet they are not considered affectionate birds, lol.

Recently Citrus laid two eggs, now I'm sure the DNA test went wrong, lol. I'm getting her a boyfriend, she deserves it! She gets along with the budgies quite well and while she is happy with my company I believe she wold be way happier with a partner to hang out.

Your parents bourkes seem really clownish! I am surprised they aren't well known. They are fantastic pets, and incredibly gentle. I just love them too much!