• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourkes losing tame ability?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I had heard from one breeder who hand feeds her Bourkes as babies that as they mature they lose their ability at being tame. I was wondering if any of you have had a hand tamed Bourke that as it got older became less friendly and would revert back to its more wild nature of not wanting human interaction ? I’m on the fence about buying a pair of hand tamed babies and worried they will change and become less tame as they age.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had heard from one breeder who hand feeds her Bourkes as babies that as they mature they lose their ability at being tame. I was wondering if any of you have had a hand tamed Bourke that as it got older became less friendly and would revert back to its more wild nature of not wanting human interaction ? I’m on the fence about buying a pair of hand tamed babies and worried they will change and become less tame as they age.
I can't say for bourkes in particular, but I know for all birds handfed babies doesn't always mean they will be tame for the new owner. Especially when you bring them home, like any bird they need some time to get used to everything.

Rescue birds are also an option! In fact, it's worth noting that with an adult bird you know what their personalities are, what you see is what you get! With a baby you don't know how they'll turn out.

Hopefully I haven't confused you, just some food for thought. If you want to go ahead as planned, maybe ask if you can interact with the babies? Then the move to a new environment with you won't be so jarring and frightening for them.