• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourke parrot sexes?

Sammaz862

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
I recently got these bourke parrots. I was told they were a pair, however now ive been told that males have a blue forehead which both of them do.... do they look both male?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Those are not Bourke's parakeets, they are red-rumped parakeets. It appears that you do have a male and a female.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I could be wrong, but I think these are actually scarlet chested parakeets. Hen appears to be too vibrant for a blue red rump.

Certainly not bourkes!

@Sammaz862 Do you have more pictures of these two?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I could be wrong, but I think these are actually scarlet chested parakeets. Hen appears to be too vibrant for a blue red rump.

Certainly not bourkes!

@Sammaz862 Do you have more pictures of these two?
Sorry about that. Monica is correct.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry about that. Monica is correct.
I would have gotten it wrong, too, if I couldn't recall the scarlet chesteds! I knew the pair wasn't red rump, but the only other species that came to mind was turquoisines, but that didn't seem right, either! It's been several years since I've looked at the grass parakeet mutations and species! :) Actually, the first photo, in a different thread, really threw me off as I couldn't tell that either one had white on their chests or stomachs! The picture in this thread at least shows it.

Sammaz862

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Oh how interesting.... the girls at the shop told me they were bourkes, but i couldnt find anything that looked like them!

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Oh how interesting.... the girls at the shop told me they were bourkes, but i couldnt find anything that looked like them!
They are stunning! :) Bourke parakeets and scarlet chesteds are both considered to be "grass parakeets", but they belong to different genera.

Sammaz862

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Is it possible the female could be a bourke? Or definately scarlet chested? They were in a cage of bourkes

Sammaz862

Moving in
Real Name
Sam
Oh right - I can definately see the difference now! Thank you so much for clearing everything up for me