• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourke advice?

Should I wait? Or get one now?

• Total voters

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Hello,
I am considering getting a bourke!

Partly as a friend for my 4 year old budgie, larry, as he gets a bit lonely sometimes.

Also because I want more experience with different types of birds.

There are some for sale near where I live, But I only have two cages, one large round cage for larry, and another cage for my finches. My finches are breeding, so I don't want to disturb them by adding another bird in their environment. I am also building an aviary in the next 6 months, so once it is finished all my birds will go in there.

The question is, Should I get a bourke now, while there are some available, and keep it with larry until my aviary is done,

Or should I wait? There is a chance that there will be no more by the time my aviary is finished.
I only know of one breeder where I live...

Any advice?

Also, is it true that they live for 25 years?

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
It largely depends on whether they get along. You will need at least two water and food dishes so they don't fight over it. I would say your probably going to need another cage because they will need a few days to get used to each other. Putting them together right away could be a risk.
Yes they can live 25 yrs, I didn't expect so because they are tiny, but they have a life expectancy similar to cockatiels.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think you should slow down and concentrate on what you have.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I also think you should wait. But mostly because you should never bring another bird home without its own cage as you have no idea whether or not two birds will get along. Especially when you are trying to introduce another bird into the "territory" of another. I've actually found budgies to be pretty feisty so a young and/or timid bourkes may not compete well with one if forced to share the same space.

Finish your aviary. Then transfer your flock into it and let them acclimate. Use your spare cage for a bourkes if you want then.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the replies,
I have decided to build my aviary first. I is going to be made from a garden shed, so I only have to do the front and add a double door. I will post pictures when I have finished :bounce4:

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
yes best to build the aviary first, birds need space when they are getting use to each other.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I sold $500 of finches to someone with bourkes in an aviary. Within 2 months he gave them away; said they didn't work out together.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think waiting is best but if you get a new bird it will need its own cage.
First there is quarantine & then who knows if it will get along with Larry.
Larry has a round cage & its hard enough for one bird in it as there are no corners to feel safe.

When you build your aviary you will still have to be careful whom you place in it.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
all the same, i have lots of different species in my aviary, they seem to be fine as they have lots of space, different feeding containers, and lots of things to do. are turquosines anything like bourkes?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My last bourke hen lived to be about 19 years old, give or take a year. Due to her failing health and head trauma, I made the decision to put her to sleep. If she was in better health, I have no doubt she could have lived to be 20+.

In 2013, someone else had another bourke that was estimated to be 23 years old. I don't know if he's still alive or if he's passed on since and at what age.

That said, even budgies and finches could live for 15+ years. A quick search says that the oldest zebra finch lived to be 17 years old. A past(?) member of this forum (I think) had a canary die short of his 20th birthday.

I do not recommend round cages and would say that bourkes are more likely to get along with cockatiels than budgies. Bourkes are similar to turquoisines, too. (had a female for a *very* short time :( ) In a large enough space, yes, a bourke could do okay with a budgie, but in a cage, no. If you want a companion for your budgie, then get another budgie.

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
IMO I wouldn’t house Bourkes with anything other than Bourkes. I read how timid and calm Bourkes were and adopted Amelia (Rosy Bourke) and awhile later Luna (Lutino Bourke), both hand fed and adopted after weaning. I have a mixed species flock and everyone is caged alone except my 2 Bourkes. Amelia is the most aggressive and most possessive bird in my flock and tolerates Luna enough to share a large flight cage. However, if Luna is near other birds Amelia will fly over to ‘protect’ her and chase off the others. Amelia has taken on my Cockatiel, Budgie, and Lovebird. Luna acts very similar but to a less intense degree. All birds are individuals but I always laugh now when I read that they are easy going and get picked on. I’m sure I’m the exception not the rule but I think it’s safest to house them separate. Also, go into adopting another bird with the thought that it won’t get along with the others and will need separate housing. So if it doesn’t get along, you were already prepared for that, and if it does get along, then that’s awesome.

Hope Taylor

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Hope Taylor
My Bourke's shared a cage for a time (a large one) with our budgie, but the budgie hassled him and wouldn't let him eat, so we got each their own cage. The Bourke's would also get protective of our 'tiel. He took on our large dove one time to protect her (the dove was very confused when the Bourke's was tapping his chest-- all he could reach). I would get another budgie for yours.