• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boskus

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
Hello everyone, it's been a while. Unfortunately Nougat my smaller male finch passed away a while ago. I had enitially bought them together (and they seemed to get along well) Boskus is still healthy but I hear him performing calls a lot and I fear he is lonely. Now I am left with a bit of a predicament. Instead of another male finch I should probably get him a female as he would likely get along with her better then a new male, but here are my concerns. 1. Will they 100% breed? If so what do I do with the eggs? Do I let them hatch and simply sell the babies or is there a way to prevent egg laying? 2. Is there a chance he will behave with violence towards a female?

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sorrow: I'm sorry for your loss.

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
:sorrow: I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I actually still remember how his song went and it kinda chokes me up to think about it. I wish I could have gotten it on video as weird as that might sound so I could have it with me. I have pictures of him but I didn't have a phone or anything just a crappy camera.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Hello everyone, it's been a while. Unfortunately Nougat my smaller male finch passed away a while ago. I had enitially bought them together (and they seemed to get along well) Boskus is still healthy but I hear him performing calls a lot and I fear he is lonely. Now I am left with a bit of a predicament. Instead of another male finch I should probably get him a female as he would likely get along with her better then a new male, but here are my concerns. 1. Will they 100% breed? If so what do I do with the eggs? Do I let them hatch and simply sell the babies or is there a way to prevent egg laying? 2. Is there a chance he will behave with violence towards a female?
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

1. I've heard that zebra finches are prolific breeders but it's not definite

2. If they lay eggs you can just boil the eggs and leave them in the cage until they get bored of them

3. Either boy or girl there's a chance they won't get along

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

1. I've heard that zebra finches are prolific breeders but it's not definite

2. If they lay eggs you can just boil the eggs and leave them in the cage until they get bored of them

3. Either boy or girl there's a chance they won't get along
Is he more likely to get along with a female than a male or is it equal? He had acted with aggression towards Nougat once before despite seemingly getting along before that so I figured maybe female is better?

Puddles02

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Not Bill lol
This is a picture from when I first got Boskus and Nougat. Nougat is behind Boskus is infront (Boskus started a bit smaller and got chunkier)
This is a picture from when I first got Boskus and Nougat. Nougat is behind Boskus is infront (Boskus started a bit smaller and got chunkier)

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Is he more likely to get along with a female than a male or is it equal? He had acted with aggression towards Nougat once before despite seemingly getting along before that so I figured maybe female is better?
@FinchORI @Ali could help more than I can

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
If you put a male and female together, they will definitely breed. I have two females and they still lay eggs. I personally would get another male but I’ve never had males so I don’t have much experience with this.