• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bored, destructive rats

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hey all
I have some very bored rats who now take out there frustration by (purposely:shifty:) spilling their water bowl and making their mommy clean their newspaper almost every day... and i know this is my fault:o:. you see, we cant find ANY toys for these little critters (excluding bedding, they sleep like kings!:king:) where we are. so, like all good parents, we have concluded to DIYing them some play items. if you know any good websites that have DIY toys for rats or you have made some of your own that have turned into a rodent successes, please share! thanks a lot guys!:p
LittleBird:roflmao:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Toilet paper rolls... Cardboard popsicle sticks....

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Get them foraging and working for their food! I had rats and used to put their food in folded up toilet rolls, egg cartons, small boxes, paper bags etc and they had to chew their way in. I used shredded cardboard as bedding and scatterfed - basically scattered their food into the substrate and let them be rats and sniff it out. They're smart little creatures and just giving them food in a bowl is boring when in the wild they'd spend a huge amount of physical and mental energy trying to find food.

Mine had lots of hammocks, plastic tubes, rope and so on to play with. A number of parrot toys translate quite well to rats especially things like cargo nets, ladders, swinging things they can climb on.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Toilet paper rolls, homemade hammocks, pvc pipe (for tunnels), etc.

Like Tka said, rats enjoy foraging. You could take a toilet paper roll and stuff it with foraging material and treats. Make sure anything you use to make toys is safe for them, though.

Also, if you have any extra bird toys, those might be good, depending on what they are! For example, I have a bird toy that is a ball with a bell inside. I think this would be a good rat toy. Giving them more out-of-cage time might help with their boredom, too!! Tamed rats enjoy snuggling up to their humans. If yours enjoy this, just spend a lot of time with them. :)

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
thanks so much for for the advice guys!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I believe you can also have a set up for sprout foraging. Sprouts are very easy to start and they would love to dig them up!

Sprouting fun!

"Sand box"

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How freaking cute!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My rats loved hunting crickets too! And I'd give them a shallow water bowl with frozen peas for them to fish for. Even tossing them in the bathtub with some things to find was a blast for them!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I never knew rats enjoyed water so much.

Mt guinea pigs and hamsters never cared for water...

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I haven't had rats, but I had mice. Every time I used up something that came in a box/roll, I tossed the cardboard in their cage. They loved it.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I make toys for small pets in addition to birds.

Fuzzy's Toy Shop - lots of things to shred.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
wow, thanks so much for all the replies!
my ratties seem to have a passionate hatred for water play unless its via squirt bottle :hilarious:. I'll definitely pop some birdy toys in their cage now ( I cant believe it never occurred to me :facepalm:). time to get the hot glue-gun out!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My BFF has ratties and I gave them one of those peanut butter flavored pumice beak shaper treats. Loved it, and also helped file down their sharp toe nails. They like wood toys to chew on; the harder the better. Lyre and Hassenfeffer love to run under the bed covers and look for toys with small food treats inside.