• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Books, Articles…

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Hi,

Been researching a lot about African Greys, the Congo sub-species. Could anyone recommend any books, articles, websites that they’ve found helpful. It doesn’t have to focus of CAGs only, anything is appreciated.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I admire you for wanting to further educate yourself on African Grey. They are fantastic parrots and have unique needs beyond most parrots for an enriched life and health.

African Grey Parrot: The Ultimate Guide (2022) - World Birds

Also look up articles written by Jean Patterson who is a long time breeder of african species of birds.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Here is a link to Jean Pattison's website with several articles: African Queen Aviaries . Also, this book is wonderful: A Guide to African Grey Parrots as Pet & Aviary Birds – Avian Publications . Rosemary Low, the author, is one of the top captive parrot experts in the world, and has written many books on parrots. At least in the US it can be found used on websites such as eBay or Amazon if you would rather buy a used copy.
Her website has lots of good info.

A.K

A.K

Here is a link to Jean Pattison's website with several articles: African Queen Aviaries . Also, this book is wonderful: A Guide to African Grey Parrots as Pet & Aviary Birds – Avian Publications . Rosemary Low, the author, is one of the top captive parrot experts in the world, and has written many books on parrots. At least in the US it can be found used on websites such as eBay or Amazon if you would rather buy a used copy.
I’m looking at my nearest library to see if they have it. Right now, I’m trying not to buy anything (in fact I’m selling stuff now) because I’m about to move either to Australia or Ohio (Don’t worry, I’m only buying a bird after I’ve fully settled down) Right now I’ve Ms Low’s articles open to read.

A.K

Off topic, is this a good breeder?

I can’t find any of the warning signs of a scam - but after almost being scammed several times, I don’t really trust myself :hilarious:

(Tried to edit the last post, but I was too late)

LovieLouie

Off topic, is this a good breeder?

I can’t find any of the warning signs of a scam - but after almost being scammed several times, I don’t really trust myself :hilarious:

(Tried to edit the last post, but I was too late)
I think I’ve seen that name pop up before. Im pretty sure someone recently got a crimson bellied conure from them ... hopefully someone who’s dealt with them can be more help

Reactions: A.K

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes JC aviary is a reputable breeder.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@A.K Lafebers has several webinars exclusively about the African Greys; (One through eight about Greys)

LovieLouie

Thanks! I noticed they are selling B&G Macaws for $1500. Is that the price that’ll be everywhere? I thought they’d be more expensive than the $6800 African Greys.
Looks like the macaws are $6800.

A.K

Oops, sorry. I was looking at another Blue and Gold breeder website. Is $1500 - $3000 an appropriate price for one? I’m considering one instead of an African Grey.

LovieLouie

Oops, sorry. I was looking at another Blue and Gold breeder website. Is $1500 - $3000 an appropriate price for one? I’m considering one instead of an African Grey.
I’m not sure -but if jc aviary is a reputable breeder then I would just assume other reputable breeders would have similar pricing... but I could be wrong as I really do not know what they should cost

Reactions: A.K

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I recommend “Alex and Me”, by Dr. Irene Pepperberg.