• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Book about taming, training, and more:

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I reccomend anyone of any bird type to check out this book; The Parrot Wizards Guide to Well Behaved Parrots. I have boughten it a month ago and it is super useful. It teaches you clicker training, target training, tricks, flight training and so much more! It is about 230 pages and is useful for tame or even non tame bird’s. The link below include some the book and a clicker and a target stick! It’s a little pricy ($25), but it’s well worth it!

Link: The Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well-Behaved Parrots

:)

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Oh if you don’t know who the parrot wizard is, his real name is Michael Sazhin and he is in the howcast bird training videos!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah. He's an arrogant person who thinks he's figured out birds. I looked at his website and a few of his videos a while ago, and needless to say, I won't be using any of his techniques. I don't like his approach or how he treats his birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Nope - the Parrot Wizard is a ripoff. He has no idea of how to train a parrot, but he does FORCE and STARVE parrots into submissiveness.

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I didn’t mean to market, I just thought I found a good book and wanted to share I it with you all. :( :( :(

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Is there a way to delete a thread? I feel terrible for saying it was a good book before. :(

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Don't feel terrible! You didn't do anything wrong, love. :)

If you really want to, you can ask an admin to delete this thread. But don't feel bad!!
Agreed! I read that book too, some of the advice is not forceful if I remember correctly, but he does make things like starving sound great, which it isn't. Training before breakfast is fine, but not feeding your bird or keeping them so skinny they are always hungry is not in my opinion. If I remember correctly, he does decently explain clicker and target training, which is great. It is just that he often uses flooding(exposing a bird to something he or she is terrified of without choice until he no longer responds) and other forceful methods. That is all but good:)

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Agreed! I read that book too, some of the advice is not forceful if I remember correctly, but he does make things like starving sound great, which it isn't. Training before breakfast is fine, but not feeding your bird or keeping them so skinny they are always hungry is not in my opinion. If I remember correctly, he does decently explain clicker and target training, which is great. It is just that he often uses flooding(exposing a bird to something he or she is terrified of without choice until he no longer responds) and other forceful methods. That is all but good:)
Ok, thanks! :)
Thankfully, I haven’t done any of the things he said in the book! :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
As long as you ask yourself what you are teaching your parrot(like do this and you will get a reward! or.. do this and you don't get food) and whether you are depending on the bird voluntarily joining(so no force) you should be good:) I have that book lying around somewhere, I never finished it but remember I liked the flight training part. I read some things he said with great skepticism, but other parts are totally okay.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Someone should provide @WallyCockatiel with the names of a few of the tried and true parrot trainers and behaviorists?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The only thing you need to learn about training a parrot is the power of "Positive Reinforcement" and offering "choice".

Get in tune with your inner bird. That means think like a bird. Put yourself in the bird's place and look at the situation from their point of view. The rest takes care of itself.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Michael learned what he knows from Bird Tricks. Bird Tricks learned what they know from out-dated sources and information online and construed and twisted that information. Bird Tricks are sales people. They are not actual behaviorists/trainers - although I will admit that they have gotten *BETTER*! I remember when BT was advertising a video... "barreling over cliffs, swimming with sharks!" Oooooh! So dangerous! One, they were in a helicopter. Sorry, not impressed! Two, they were swimming with blacktip reef sharks.... they might as well have been swimming with nurse sharks... neither species pose a large risk to humans. The reason Bird Tricks was started? From what I could see, it was so that one of them could buy an expensive ring. It was all a marketing scheme that he bought from some other company. He then took terms that are used within the training community and gave them new names... target training? He calls it "stick training". Because he renamed these terms, he then says that the experts are "hiding these secrets" from you so you have to buy into their products but here, you spend more money from me and I'll teach you everything I know - and you can't find the "so called secrets" because he's using the incorrect terminology! If you search around, you can find where at least *THREE* other trainers talk about how BT was starving their birds into training.... (if those pages are still up...) and they even had one bird die potentially due to starvation... not to mention that they were taught free-flight for free, then turn around and charge their customers $8K or more? (when the original trainer doesn't even charge that much! and they were doing it wrong, even when they were taught the correct way to do it!)

And then here we have poor gullible Michael... who bought into BT... and followed BT... and in his book, he even recommends starving birds! Now, he doesn't call it starvation... but when a true behaviorist looked at one of his videos.... that trainer could tell that the poor bird was starving! An adult bird had reverted to baby behaviors. It's one thing for an adult bird to act like a baby because that behavior was encouraged... it's another when they aren't getting fed enough food and show other behaviors of starving. You do not need to underweight in order to be starving, either! There's weight management and food management. Weight management is basically using a bird's weight to determine their ability to train - then teaching the bird to train over that weight limit. This is a technique that is used a lot in falconry. Food management on the other hand is basically, instead of free-feeding a bird you change to 2 or 3 feedings a day, or maybe the bird has to forage for their food, or they work for their food through. They are not being starved and they enjoy the way they are fed. Two quotes below may better define what they are.

The goal is to maintain the highest weight possible and provide the greatest amount of food while maintaining the desired behavioral response. This practice is referred to as “weight management.”
Food management is defined by The International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators as managing when and how food is delivered, what food items are offered, and the ratio of food items offered to create desire to present behaviors for food reinforcers. (17) Micromanaging weights and diets for these species is typically not necessary and can put companion animals at risk due to improper guidance

Michael uses these two terms interchangeably and then uses weight management incorrectly.... rather than training *above* the desired weight, he trains below... because parrots are naturally slim in the wild.... because they fly a lot and food isn't so readily available. Keep in mind that starvation does not equate out to being underweight. Michael says that his birds are not underweight and they have been checked by a vet (who is not a behaviorist!) as healthy, so therefore they are not starving.

Take any overweight person who has plenty of body fat and not feed them for 48 hours!!!!!! You can't tell me that person is not starving simply because they are fat! If that person normally consumes, say, 6,000 calories a day (when the norm should be about 2,000 for an average, healthy adult) and put them on a strict diet and only allow them 800 calories a day, again, you can't tell me they aren't starving when their body is used to consuming more!

I don't think Michael recommends free-flight training anymore... not since he lost Truman, his cape parrot... he now uses harnesses!

It's better to keep a thread like this open, IMO, so people can learn who the *REAL* experts are out there! The ones who have a true understanding of behavior and training. The ones who have taken the classes and continue to expand their knowledge. BT and PW are not experts. They have an understanding of it, but have not yet truly grasped the entire concept. I also do not consider myself an expert by any means! I still have a lot to learn myself and would love to someday take the hands on training classes!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is something fun. One of our members - Macawnutz - trains her birds and has a commercial bird show. Here are a couple of videos of her training her birds.

Kailua and Sakie shooting baskets.

Maui Learning how to roller skate