• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonnie's surgical site

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Many of you know that Bonnie had her surgery a little over a week ago. She had her recheck last week and all looked well, but they did have to clean up her cloacal area as feces were drying, etc....

This weekend she has been straining more....the poop does not come out easily, and part of the reason is it hangs there and dries quickly. We have been doing our best to clean it with saturated cotton balls, but it is sooo hard to get it off completely. I hope the straining is only due to this though.

I am calling my regular vet tomorrow to see if I can get a tech appoinment for them to clean her butt area really well....and then i will know better if it is just that or perhaps some inflammation.

Just wondering if anyone has any tricks to make this easier....I rely on John to hold her and he can onlly do it so long before she really squirms...and he does not want to be the one cleaning. Plus I am so worried about hurting her as the area is still sore......

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Leslie,would she actually sit in a small bowl of warm water?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I am not sure if it can be used with birds

But after Sheba was hit by a car and had her operation the vet said if she was straining to poop (she didn't go for several days even being fed canned food) to give her a little bit of Mineral oil. I guess its similar to a laxative

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
No sure if she will sit in a bowl....I have tried to mist her down there often during the day to keep it from hardening....

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Is it getting stuck on her feathers? Maybe you can somehow clip the feathers shorter?

What about smearing with neosporin to keep the surface slick so it doesn't stick. It would also help with healing her little bottom.

Ginger

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
They already removed the feathers around her cloaca...it is stuck on her skin....maybe the neosporin?

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Glad to here that the surgery went well.:heart:

I like the idea of the neosporin or even some vaseline would be safe and hopefully keep it from sticking.

Glad to here that the surgery went well.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Thanks... I will try some of your ideas....

Jaye, it went very well, but I still worry....:(

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Danita, I had asked the doctor about that before...she said the stools are not the problem, it is the opening..and I think now it is the healing that is interfering...I am hoping it gets better once all inflamation is down. And there was the possibility post surgery of her losing a bit of sphincter control....

I made an appointment with one of my regular vets to get her cleaned up tomorrow.....they wanted a vet to do the exam and cleaning as the surgery site is still fairly fresh. My mom will be taking her there with my written instructions.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Poor Bonnie
:(
How is her spirits?

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, Poor Bonnie! I will keep her in my prayers! I hope she is OK!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many positive thoughts and prayers on the way dear..

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
THanks guys
Poor Bonnie
:(
How is her spirits?
She still seems happy and very vocal, it's just when she poops she looks to be uncomfortable a bit, but not in any pain as far as I can tell...

I was soo happy when they were coming out so well right after surgery...big glops that I hadn't seen in so long...I was so happy. I just hope this is all part of the healing process.....I am such a worry wort.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Her appt went well this AM...the doctor said she gained weight since the surgery. She does not appear to be inflamed, so the meds must be working. She had a little poo on her butt but it was not too bad and came off fairly easily...he said we were doing a good job with cleaning it up. He said to continue cleaning twice a day....the straining will hopefully improve when all has healed up more.

So I feel a bit better....I just can't stop worrying about her though.

Oh, he said to get neosporin to rub lightly on her cloacal area, as was mentioned here...

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
oh my goodness, I hope the Neosporin works! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.