• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding with new Quaker

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
Hello! Posting for a friend

hello! So I recently got a new Quaker whose been with the same lady since a baby and she’s now 8 years old. I have had her about 2 weeks and I desperately need bonding tips. She’ll step up for my friend, friends mom, AND dad (even though she hated men) but this bird HATES me she’ll bite me if my hand if it’s anywhere close and draw blood every time. I’ve started offering my sleeved arm and she’ll violently shake my sleeve/bite my arm. I’m her sole care taker and have been sitting with her and offering her favorite treat (noodles) she goes crazy for everyone but me :( she’ll fly to see my friend and is super cuddly to almost everyone. She recently started flying to my shoulder once I’m turned around only to sit nicely then attack my face.
I know she’s still new and all but I’m at a loss why she seems to love or tolerate EVERYONE but has it out for me

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
where you the one to pick her up from her old home? If so its possible she is connecting you to tge stressful and unhappy event of leaving her first home . They do grieve. Or something happened to spoke her with you when you first met.

Then your fear/nervousness abd hesitancy are creating a feed back loop.

But no worries! You can move past all that.
My Penny is an older gurl rescue between 10-20 when I rescued her. She was so mad at me st first! She would shoot poops through the cage at me when ever I got close!!! Her first day used human cuss words and cussed
me out!
She would flutter screaming at me to bite. Had screaming fits.
Then sometimes she would want to be in my shoulder tgrn like yours turn and bite me. She was all over the place.
She is now the sweetest girl .

So for you. Do not take all this acting to heart. She is reading you. Has hard as it may be, you must be calm and cheerful and confident when interacting with her. Hold the image if you being happy friends in your mind when yiu eitk with her. It will come through in your body language.

Work with her out of the cahe and without sleeves covering your hands.

Have your friend help you by being the bridge. Have your friend get her to step up to her. Then have the burd step to you from your friend both praise her then have her step right back to your friend. Then stand sbd talk a couple of minuets while she is on your friend. Your friend should show yiu affection touch your arm tell you what a great frirnd ylu sre abd show joy lf have a visit with you . Then have the burd step to you again from your friend. Give her a safflower seed or treat item. Bith of yiu tell her whst a brilliant great burd dhe is. Then step right bsvk to yiur friend. I would 3 times only. Then take a break for 15 mind. And repeat 3 times again.
If she dies well with this. Yiu csn start stretching out the time she is on you and visit with your friend a little before passing her back.

Then you can sit on the couch together with tge burd. Play passing tge birdie each giving her treats when she steps up to yiu guys abd kits if verbal praise.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Also you can practice together with her on top of her cage or st a perch area with your friend. Hsve her step to your friend get treat praise. Then friend puts her bsck on perch abd yiu hsve her step to you for treat praise rgen bsck to perch and yiur friend does agsin.

Treats my quakers love, safflower seeds, popcorn, a piece of un salted tortilla chip or taco ( like a thumb print size) man tgey go nuts fir thst! But use ehst ever is super high value treat fir yours.
They are not immune to praise even if not showing it, they eat praise up! So lots of oh whst a good birdie! What pretty girl whst a smart girl! Good ( burd name)

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
Also you can practice together with her on top of her cage or st a perch area with your friend. Hsve her step to your friend get treat praise. Then friend puts her bsck on perch abd yiu hsve her step to you for treat praise rgen bsck to perch and yiur friend does agsin.

Treats my quakers love, safflower seeds, popcorn, a piece of un salted tortilla chip or taco ( like a thumb print size) man tgey go nuts fir thst! But use ehst ever is super high value treat fir yours.
They are not immune to praise even if not showing it, they eat praise up! So lots of oh whst a good birdie! What pretty girl whst a smart girl! Good ( burd name)
I’ve been trying that be she will immediately bite and will not stop biting her even for her favorite treat. She won’t willingly step up to her from me I have to basically rotate my hand I don’t have to much experience with tiny birds and most birds click with me so I thought I’d ask for advice here haha :)

ParrotJunkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Davis
where you the one to pick her up from her old home? If so its possible she is connecting you to tge stressful and unhappy event of leaving her first home . They do grieve. Or something happened to spoke her with you when you first met.

Then your fear/nervousness abd hesitancy are creating a feed back loop.

But no worries! You can move past all that.
My Penny is an older gurl rescue between 10-20 when I rescued her. She was so mad at me st first! She would shoot poops through the cage at me when ever I got close!!! Her first day used human cuss words and cussed
me out!
She would flutter screaming at me to bite. Had screaming fits.
Then sometimes she would want to be in my shoulder tgrn like yours turn and bite me. She was all over the place.
She is now the sweetest girl .

So for you. Do not take all this acting to heart. She is reading you. Has hard as it may be, you must be calm and cheerful and confident when interacting with her. Hold the image if you being happy friends in your mind when yiu eitk with her. It will come through in your body language.

Work with her out of the cahe and without sleeves covering your hands.

Have your friend help you by being the bridge. Have your friend get her to step up to her. Then have the burd step to you from your friend both praise her then have her step right back to your friend. Then stand sbd talk a couple of minuets while she is on your friend. Your friend should show yiu affection touch your arm tell you what a great frirnd ylu sre abd show joy lf have a visit with you . Then have the burd step to you again from your friend. Give her a safflower seed or treat item. Bith of yiu tell her whst a brilliant great burd dhe is. Then step right bsvk to yiur friend. I would 3 times only. Then take a break for 15 mind. And repeat 3 times again.
If she dies well with this. Yiu csn start stretching out the time she is on you and visit with your friend a little before passing her back.

Then you can sit on the couch together with tge burd. Play passing tge birdie each giving her treats when she steps up to yiu guys abd kits if verbal praise.
Thanks! Yeah she loves me (poster) but I feel so bad for my friend! (Owner) she really goes crazy on her haha. I’m hoping it’s just temporary and we are working on it everyday

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I (as owner) would try to stay friendly, positive, and neutral about her biting and hope that with time her anger will lessen and she will attach to you (owner). i would try feeding yummy treats.

I also have an adult Quaker who came to me at 7 yrs. He only bites in his cage, though, which is an adjustment as my previous Quaker allowed me to pick her up from her cage. My Willow gets mad if I’m too close to his cage or if I approach him while he’s on his sleeping perch.

Quakers are such great birds!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Birds do not ever do anything out of malicious intent, so for this I personally would say to give the Quaker time, treats and love. Don't feel disheartened if it takes a while, sometimes birds just take some people as a threat, even when there's nothing to be threatened by.