• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding with Lovebird

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Hey everyone,
So about 10 days ago I got a handfed baby lovebird (8 weeks or so) and I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips and tricks on bonding with her. So far I have just sat by her cage periodically and talked to her gently and put my hand in or by the cage to get her used to hands. I have offered treats to her without getting too pushy and she won't take anything.

She seems like she isn't scared of hands, just shy and a bit nervous so if anyone has some advice to offer I'm all ears! I hope I have a long life ahead with the two of us so it doesn't bother me too much if it will take a while to create a strong bond between the two of us

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! Sounds like you're doing great so far, 10 days is hardly any time at all. Definitely just sitting with her and talking to her is a great first step, she's trying to figure you out as much as you're trying to figure her out! :) My lovebird, Aoife, wasn't really interested in much of anything for probably a good 3 weeks, then she started to "birb." She was also much older than your girl, so she'll probably adapt faster. We love pics around here so we'd love to see her! Have you had birds before?

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
@Leih I had 3 budgies a couple years ago however when I brought home the third one from petsmart, it came home sick before I could take it to the vet and they all passed away unfortunately :(

Once I take some good photos I will def put them into the thread :)

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
IMG_2353.JPG this is Chica I am not sure what mutation she is but I assume she is a cinnamon but I could be wrong, my animal instagram is @maddies.exotics so as she tames down a bit more and grows more comfortable I will def post more photos of her

Attachments

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Wow she’s gorgeous! Congrats on your new lovie, it sounds like you are doing great! I got my girl Jules as a hand fed baby too. She was instantly my little shirt lump lol so I can’t offer too much perspective on her. Same with my chick Bug who I’m still hand feeding, but Bug’s parents I am still building a relationship with. I talk, read, and sing to them. They were both hand fed, but are new to me so I’m taking it slow, letting them adjust and show me their comfort level. It takes time to earn their confidence and trust, but with exposure and allowing them to decide what they are comfortable with, I expect them to be very happy in our flock ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Maddie! :fairy2:

What a beautiful bird :)

I´m not 100%, maybe she is Turquoise Ino or CreamIno (@expressmailtome )

She reminds me of Peep @bubblelady

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Leih I had 3 budgies a couple years ago however when I brought home the third one from petsmart, it came home sick before I could take it to the vet and they all passed away unfortunately :(

Once I take some good photos I will def put them into the thread :)
That's terrible! I'm sorry to hear that!

Chica is very pretty! Looks like she's got a nice cage set up too :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I´m not 100%, maybe she is Turquoise Ino or CreamIno (@expressmailtome )
@Zara is correct. I am not sure which of the blue series mutations that she is, however she is one of them and has a lutino mutation as well.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I´m not 100%, maybe she is Turquoise Ino or CreamIno
I thought of Creamino as well but I read that they don't have any colour on the tail and Chica has some red on her tail. I will def look into it more though now that I have a bit more insight :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
She'll likely change a bit when she goes into her adult plumage, too.

Duel

Walking the driveway
What I did with my lovebird after getting him was that while he was asleep I would quietly take his food out of the cage and in the morning put seeds in the palm of my hand and rest it at the bottom of the cage. I had to keep my hand still without moving a muscle otherwise he's get scared and back off but as the days went by he got more and more used to my hand moving while eating from it. Of course after letting him eat for a while I'd return the food into the cage for him. Now he follows me around the house wherever I go and just chills with me.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
@Duel thank you! I will definitely try that with her. She seems reluctant to take food from my hand so that may work

Duel

Walking the driveway
@Duel thank you! I will definitely try that with her. She seems reluctant to take food from my hand so that may work
Also, is she able to fly or are her wings clipped? If clipped like mine was then you would be able to try testing just how much it's been working by letting her out of the cage and have her follow while holding food with you or walk away and see if she follows you without any. Sometimes mine even waits for me in front of the bathroom till I'm done!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
@Duel She can fly, yesterday she spent a full 7 hours just flying around my room lol. This morning I tried your technique and she didn't want to come over and eat so tomorrow morning I am going to try again and for a little longer this time.

I think one of my bigger issues is that she doesn't seem to like any treats I have offered her. I am going to go out soon and buy some pistachios since I heard that birds like them usually.

So far I have tried: nutriberries (I am going to try different flavours though), almonds, walnuts, cranberries, popcorn, mango, pumpkin seeds, millet, and bird bread.

The walnuts and almonds she will go for if they are in her food bowl are hidden in her toys for foraging but won't take them from my hand, tomorrow I will try to chop some up and try your technique and see if that will entice her at all.

Duel

Walking the driveway
I would let her try it on her own first by leaving it in the cage for her to see if she likes it first then feeding it to her by hand later. You don't have to do exactly like I did but I removed ALL the food from his cage in his sleep and simply waited for him to have breakfast from my hand in the morning.