• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding with baby macaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridamingo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marina
So I got to meet my soon-to-be baby catalina macaw. It's approx. 11 weeks old now and I'm getting a DNA sex to see what it is. Hoping for a boy so I'll probably end up calling it a 'he' until I know for sure (its name is going to be Bruce or Brucie).
Anyways! At the moment he's in Miami and I live three hours away from there. It's a drive, but I'm planning to go and bond with him every two weeks and then in between any time I take a small trip to Miami, which I do kinda-often. I'd like to go more, but it's all I can do right now.

Basically I wanted to know what all to do and what not to do. He's going to be my first big bird, but I'm so excited and happy about it I can hardly stand myself-- I've really never been so in love with something so much in my entire life. He's sweet as can be, and I've seen him twice now. He's absolutely beautiful and they said he's already trying to talk. I've been giving him cuddles, scritches, singing a bit, playing with him and even working on teaching him to be gentle, I just feel like it'll be harder for us to bond because I won't see him too often.

Any suggestions for our future meetings, or should I just keep up what all I'm doing? I'm nervous and excited and just want to make sure I do this right!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So cute.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just keep doing what your doing. Offering feedings will help his comfort in you at the time you are there :) However no amount of visiting will really make him bond with you until he is weans himself and am home with you. When he is home with you, you offering comfort feedings will help.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How precious! What a lovely baby you have there.

Keep up here on the Avenue! You'll need lots of friends to share stories with, mentors when probems arise, and shoulders to lean on during the troublesome times.

For now, just keep loving that baby!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is beautiful!

Matt

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
He's gorgeous!! :D Steve and I didn't get our greenwing macaw until he was about 7-8 months old, and after weaning he'd spent his time in an avairy with minimal handling. I think people put too much importance on the need to develop a special bond while the bird is still being raised. The most important thing is that they're fledged and weaned at their own rate, allowed to discover their environment with safety and learn to be confident as they explore their environment, and the people/objects in it. Beyond that, once you've got your bub in your care work on building a trusting and functional relationship through a lot of positive reinforcement training and direction. You want a bird that will entertain itself happily for hours each day, while being happy to enjoy your company as well. :)

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
Just keep doing what your doing. Offering feedings will help his comfort in you at the time you are there :) However no amount of visiting will really make him bond with you until he is weans himself and am home with you. When he is home with you, you offering comfort feedings will help.
What is a " comfort feeding"? What kinda of food would be comfort food for a baby Illigers Macaw ( mini )?

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
I was given a large amount of the formula being used to wean my baby. I would consider using that as comfort feedings. Its familiar for them to be fed in such a way so doing this for about a week will allow them to feel comfortable. I hope that's not too redundant

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They love head/neck scratches. Gently move the feathers in the OPPOSITE direction of feather growth as that feels real good to them (ekkies get petted the same direction). They love gentle rubs over their ears. They love scratches in the hollow under their lower beak...it tickles their tongue. Get him foot toys to play with. You can bring food that can be played with but eaten also. Eat with him as that is how they learn what is or is not safe.

Toy for babies taggies at Target

I have a Scarlet and they explore their environment by licking and beaking. When he falls asleep with me he likes to hold onto something. Taggies always work. They love tonguing the tags or biting the blanket. They make one where a miniature blanket is scrunched into a small stuffed animal. I place the animal on the outside top and let the blanket hang inside. This is enough for them to lean against or hide behind.

They play more when they have a sense of security . If he ventures out make sure he can get back to a secure place quickly. This is one way the form trust and learn to be safe.

I like to use infant blanket playgyms. Birds will walk under the hanging objects and even roll on their backs to play with the toys. Scarlets, Hys, and other parrots are known to play on their backs. the toys can be unhooked and placed in the cage. Mine started out in a plastic bin and the toy could be hooked on the edge of the container. The apparatus washes up well also.

Shapes, textures, colors are all things they investigate to learn about their environment. Lots of tongue testing going on. I use this time to pet under wings, stretch wings. It helps them learn to wear a harness without being afraid. Rub their beak gently. Lot of nerve endings in that beak and rubs feel good. They become comfortable with you touching their beak.

Play a game with their toes and feet, massage the feet, kiss the feet, play little piggy game. They are so use to this that they learn to allow you to groom their feet as they know they can trust you (in the wild birds bite feet when fighting).

Finally, just talk to him. They start learning words and then never stop.

Ben, scarlet, is 5 1/2 months old. He has been talking since 2 1/2. He says bye bye. He pulls back if I ask him if he wants to go night night. He has learned to say Hi really really good. He says "all right now" when they others get to roudy. His latest is he was testing with his beak, I said ow (actually it was gentle) and his response was "uh oh". These are common everyday phrases that they learn...just keep using them.

Your baby is lovely and I understand the excitement. Looking forward to hearing more.

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
duplicate...sorry, got interupted by a playful scarlet!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Hi,

Just checking in to see how things are going with your baby. Any news? When is he coming home? Tell us about him.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a cutie pie :swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.