• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding with a (somewhat) new bird?

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
Hello all. I brought home my ringneck, Yoshi a month and a half ago. He comes out of his cage on his own, and is pretty content on my shoulder. The problem is that he does not really like my fingers, so when he's perched on them, he bites really hard until I put him on my shoulder :bash:. Is there any way I could possibly make him more comfortable with hands and being handled. What are some good ways to bond with him in my current situation? Thanks to all, I appreciate it. :D

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think one of the best ways is to have him take special treats from your fingers while he's sitting on your hand. Will he sit on your lower arm? If he doesn't mind that, their really isn't a reason to have him perch on your hand. One of my birds is afraid of skin, so if I'm in a short sleeve shirt on the shoulder he goes. If I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt he'll sit on my arm without any problem.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
IRNs are notorious for being "hands-off" birds, and that includes sitting on bare skin. Keep gently working with Yoshi, give treats by hand and talking to him. Sometimes it's hard for our Titan to walk on bare skin after he's had his nails trimmed...I imagine it's harder to get a firm grip with long claws...