• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding VS Biting

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Hey everyone, I think me and my girl just hit puberty and she has gotten a lot more bitiy with me and idk if she thinks she preening me or just trying to tell me stuff and now im all around confused.

She lets me preen her pin feathers with is quite relaxing to me and what I think is her trying to preen me is nippling on my skin.

She has also become territorial in the sense of all my belongings are now hers and she doesn't want me typing on my computer or attack of the beak begins and chewing the rim on my laptop while im working.

Any and all advice is appreciated, Should I target train her? is it to late? I want her to be a good happy birdy and I would like to avoid the bites as much as possible. I think our honeymoon stage is officially over

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is 100% normal for parrotlets to gain more independence. You should feel proud that she is growing up and finding herself.

In terms of nipping. Give her more space. Wait for her to come to you. Too much physical affection can be very overwhelming. She may also be going through an adolescent molt which would make her more sensitive, irritable and uncomfortable.

Try to understand it from her point of view. It is likely she still trusts and adores you. She is just figuring out how to be herself. You will need to accept that the super cuddly baby phase will expire. Though there will be plenty of times she still wants some scritching from time to time at her own pace.

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
@fashionfobie Absolutely She will always be my little baby but she is deff coming into her own little birdy womanhood and I can respect that, I set up a little area so she can chill and do her own thing but fly to see what im doing also. Today was so much better as she did not attack my typing figure or show any interest in the keyboard.

Thank you!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I relate. When this happens my keyboard is off limits as Neptune claims it as part of his territory. Lol. Though he is so cute on there I just start doing an alternative task and let him chill. For example I start playing MTGA which I can do with my mouse.

IMG_20200701_173124.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I write a lot for work also so I do understand. The play gym is a great way to encourage her to play in her own space. Most of the time my guys adventure in their areas :)

Try adding some fresh leaves. They love ripping them to bits. Make sure they are from parrot safe trees

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Aww, parrotlets just melt my heart. :swoon: Such adorable little fluffballs!!