• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding Older Budgies

Z&S

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alyse
Hello, I'm new here and I am trying to be more informed about my birds and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.
I have two male budgies who are around 2 years old about to be 3 later this spring named Zippity and Scuttle. I have had them since they were both around 3 or 4 months no one could ever specify their age when I got them. I got Zippity first and then quickly realized that he needed a friend so I brought home scuttle around two months after having him. The original plan was to train Zippity and have them bond through the cage bars first which would eventually lead to out of the cage time together which would eventually lead to being in the same cage. As I was trying to train Zippity I got some bad advice from YouTubers online that I didn't know were amateur trainers and I didn't get very far in the training process because as they say "life got in the way" and I ended up stopping the process completely and by saying this I am not trying to justify myself. I just got so consumed by everything that got thrown at me I ended up not creating a very important routine. This lead to Zippity bonding with Scuttle more than me even though they are still in separate cages to this day. I would like to fix my mistakes and create a better bond with my birds which would lead to them creating a better bond with each other. So I would like to hear any advice that any of you have for training them and on bonding them together. Also, the bad training advice I got all said to start in the cage and then eventually let them out and as you can probably tell from my story we never got to the letting them out part, which I now know wasn't the greatest way to train but I am wondering if anyone also has advice on getting them out the cage at this point. I am open to any advice anybody has to offer. I just want to give my birds a better life and a better relationship with myself and each other.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
What makes you think they are bonded to each otheR are The cages next to each other have you ever let them out even one if the cages are next to each other and they try to get to the other bird not aggressively like to sleep as close as they can I would say say R bonded if so let them out and put some millet spray on top of your hand flat on the table to get them back in their cage Feed and water them with a fresh treat @Zara should be able to help

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Alyse! :starshower1:

This lead to Zippity bonding with Scuttle more than me even though they are still in separate cages to this day.
So the birds are interested in each other?
I´m with Cynthia. best thing is to allow them to explore out of the cage.

For the birds relationship:
First, bird proof.
-close windows, doors, cupboards
-block any small spaces
-put other pets out of the room
-don´t leave any dangerious objects out: sharp things, toxic metals

Next, set up.
-attach a perch externally on both cages near the doors
-clear a coffee table or play stand, clip some millet and maybe toys to it. This will hopefully attract their attention and encourage them to explore the area together.

Finally, open both cages.
-Go and sit away from them and allow them to come out of their own accord
-have millet on hand should they come to you, you will be able to give them a treat.
-don´t chase them, even with hands
-monitor closely without staring, just watch from the corner of your eye or the other side of the room
-break up any major fights, a little squabble is ok

Allow them daily interaction time.
Once they are hanging out together most of the time or following each other arround you can try putting them in the same cage, you may find one follows the other inside. Again, be extra vigilent

For your relationship with your birds:
Spend time by the cages. Pull up a chair and read a book aloud. Sing songs, whistle tunes or make clicks.
Feed treats through the cage bars. If they don´t take it at first, you can drop it in their food bowl through the bar gaps. Once they realise it is a yummy treat they usually start coming over to get the treat.
You can do this simulateously with the first part I wrote. Having millet on hand when their cages are open like I said is important so you can give that treat if they come over. Once they come for millet, you can try the shortening millet technique.
Start by using a full millet sprig:
**bird in the video is a young bird, you may notice your older birds are more hesitant.
Be mindful that all of these steps can take a while to progress to the next step.

Z&S

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alyse
Thank you guys so much! I will definitely start trying all of these things.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Good luck :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I thought I'd never get close with my four (see siggy pic). I got all four close together and they bonded pretty quick into a flock. Now they're bonded into m-f pairs. I never set out to tame them, I aimed to become one of the flock. I approached them slowly as a budgie would do - sideways, quick glances, no staring) and within a couple of weeks I was a member of their flock. I then started with the millet (budgie crack) using @Zara s technique, gradually over a few weeks and the flock started to search me out for their treat. Now the ladies come down to me daily for their millet, I can get on with cleaning and they just watch me. I can even work in the cage without scaring them.
Not long ago I had a few long days at work. On the second day when I sat down with a brew one of the ladies came down and fussed and preened me. What joy.
There's many methods of doing this, it's down to you to see which one works for you. In all my years I set out to tame budgies, I never for the life of me thought I'd become one.