• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bonding Between Older Caiques?

jas2686

Moving in
Real Name
Jim
Hello everyone!

I wish I joined this forum years ago. So many great threads from everyone. My Caique is named Frankie. She is female and 15 years old. She's my little sweetheart.

My question to anyone who may have advice or experience is about introducing another female Caique (10 years old) to our lives? There may be a chance to adopt this other female Caique, but I understand bonding is best at young ages between caiques?

Frankie has always been so happy/excited whenever she's seen another Caique on a TV screen or computer. I should have gotten her a companion years ago. I do feel it's a moral crime to deny any animal a companion of the same kind. Animals may not experience suffering through pondering the meaning of life, but I do believe they do suffer loneliness from not being among their own kind.

Thanks all, any advice at all is most appreciated:)

Jim & Frankie

P.S. I've posted a little video of Frankie from a few years back. She's doing a little moon walking.
Frankie does the moonwalk

Attachments

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It might work, but SHE must choose her new friend, not you

You belong to HER
All the cages belong to HER
ALL THE FOOD belongs to HER
All the FOOD DISHES belong to HER

Do you think she will share all that?

jas2686

Moving in
Real Name
Jim
It might work, but SHE must choose her new friend, not you

You belong to HER
All the cages belong to HER
ALL THE FOOD belongs to HER
All the FOOD DISHES belong to HER

Do you think she will share all that?
Thank you JP, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I think separation of everything is correct. And I know I must want this new bird, not just have a companion for Frankie. I work many hours during the day and she's alone. It would be a comfort to know she's with another caique (in separate cage) next to her to at least have them share company till I can be there to let them out. And hopefully they would both play together with me supervising at those times. Maybe separate play times in the beginning.

I was thinking introducing them while both are in their own cages would be a good start to see if they at all respond to each other. Then let one out to see if she'll at least approach the others cage and show interest or any aggression etc. As you say, both caiques have to choose to be friends or possibly not. If there's a strong negative reaction by both birds, I may decide against it, but hoping that's not the case.

-Jim

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes thats the right strategy. Then slowly allow them free time together if teh signs are right

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Easiest way to avoid the most common disputes - over food

All food dishes are new - nobody owns anything yet
all contain exactly the same food
Number of dishes = number of birds +1
All all at the same level
Spaced out. bird at dish 1 is not upset by bird 2 being too close to its food, looking over its shoulder etc

I have 13 caiques. When I walk into that avairy I disperse food liberally and FAST. Put it everywhere at once. Stun them with its abundance

Then relax....ohhh yeah.....peace.

Last edited: