• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonding and training: step by step

Olena

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Olena
Hi. I'd really appreciate some help in sorting things out.

Jake is a 6 months old Caique, I adopted him 10 days ago. Everything seems okay with him, not so much with me. I'm constantly anxious if he gets everything he needs. Or do I waste precious time to train him. Or should I give him his space to get used to me. Or, or, or :) I've read a lot about Caiques, but everything I came through never had smth like a structured timeline: you do this at this age, then that at that age, or first you train him to do this, and later to do that etc.

So, if there's any right order of bonding and training steps, please give me a hint!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Let the bird lead the way. Introduce yourself slowly & try to establish a routine you will keep up.
10 days is not long so go slow & see how they react. There is no timeline. It all depends on the bird.
Good Luck

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
"Jake is a 6 months old Caique, I adopted him 10 days ago."

Congratulations!

"Everything seems okay with him, not so much with me. I'm constantly anxious if he gets everything he needs."

Glad things are OK with Jake.

Sorry to hear things aren't OK with you. If you mean "anxiety" in the distress and mental health sense, know that this is a common condition and that psychiatry and psychology have developed treatments. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is one psychology treatment that shows success for anxiety. In terms of psychiatry, my doctor prescribed a medication that addressed my insomnia and hyperalert anxiety after the death of a loved one.

"Or do I waste precious time to train him. Or should I give him his space to get used to me. Or, or, or :) I've read a lot about Caiques, but everything I came through never had smth like a structured timeline: you do this at this age, then that at that age, or first you train him to do this, and later to do that etc.... So, if there's any right order of bonding and training steps, please give me a hint!"

I agree with Camelotshadow.

I'd add that ensuring needs are met is a great step before training: Wellness checkup at avian vet, enough sleep, variety of healthy foods, variety of toys, etc...

For training, most of it to me feels like training the human, by learning about positive reinforcement. The book Don't Shoot the Dog: The New Art of Teaching and Training by Karen Pryor was a good start on positive reinforcement. I also learned a bunch from training my dog through Sirius Puppy Training.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I used this method and it really worked for me, of course every bird is different.
Try to lure slowly with millet onto a perch that you are holding, in the other hand, a piece of millet. Once the bird is on the perch and snacking on the millet you are holding use the same technique of “luring” in onto your hand with the millet. Good Luck!

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Let the bird lead the way. Introduce yourself slowly & try to establish a routine you will keep up.
10 days is not long so go slow & see how they react. There is no timeline. It all depends on the bird.
Good Luck
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. But I'm afraid he'd gladly chain me to the cage to have my constant attention if given a lead here ;) And it seems to me it's not okay to give him this undivided attention he wants all the day long. Or is it okay for the first days/weeks? These are the moments I really don't know what's the right way.

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Sorry to hear things aren't OK with you. If you mean "anxiety" in the distress and mental health sense, know that this is a common condition and that psychiatry and psychology have developed treatments. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is one psychology treatment that shows success for anxiety. In terms of psychiatry, my doctor prescribed a medication that addressed my insomnia and hyperalert anxiety after the death of a loved one.
It is about mental health to some extent I guess (as I'm still recovering from a severe clinical depression, all the supervision and treatment in place), but not that much. It's more about a lack of understanding on the subject. I hate to not know what I'm doing :cautious: and how it affects the bird.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll give it a look!

LanaNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Hi Olena,

I'm happy to hear you have treatment.

You are correct that constant undivided attention to a bird is not the best idea, because it is not sustainable. It does not allow for independence for you or the bird. You do have lots of time to figure this out -- Jake is a baby and birds live for many years :) Many people say birds thrive on routine, so figuring out what will work in the long run can more set you up for success

Lets take the training idea of positive reinforcement and the goal of some independence for you and for Jake. The idea of positive reinforcement is that you provide something the bird wants to increase behavior that you want.

To give you and Jake more independence, you can provide lots of toys, foods, and space for Jake in large cage(s) and stand(s) so Jake can be amused by something other than you. Rotate toys and foods to provide new experiences. Observed the favorite foods (often sunflower seeds) and let Jake see you hide them in foraging toys; Foraging food toys provide activities and caiques are usually very food motivated.

Behavior change happens slowly, so if Jake is used to constant attention, you can gradually introduce longer and longer sessions of solo time

To avoid screaming for attention, provide the positive reinforcement of attention when Jake is quiet or making pleasant noises, not screaming

Clicker training is a way to introduce a "bridge" to the reward, so the positive reinforcement (say a sunflower seed) can be tied to the desired behavior without having to figure out how to provide the sunflower seed the exact second the behavior happens

Here is a long thread on clicker training: Parrot Forum • View topic - How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I think you have gotten some good advice. I do think a routine is good for them. Also helping them learn to play independently is good.

All of my caiques share a cage with a friend or a mate and this seems to keep them entertained. I know this is not possible for everyone.

Think about things that will keep a bird busy while you are not with them. Music, TV other caique noises or videos are sometimes enjoyed. Bathes are great. If you get them used to a spray bath they will spend a good long time preening afterwards. Foraging for treats is great too. Baby caiques are very interested in new toys. Foot toys are a favorite.

Vocalizing for attention is not something you want to encourage but companionship is a legitimate need so you want to make sure that it is taken care of. Birds make a contact call for their other flock members once you figure out what that is you should answer it but that does not mean you should always show up. You might just want to make a whistle or reply softly with a word or phrase so you bird can locate you by sound rather than having to see you. If my birds get a little too rowdy or loud. I will go in to their room and check on them, say hello, put in some favorite foods or toys, spray with them if they are interested in bathing or provide them with an activity to keep them busy and then I leave again. I feel like this takes care of them. I am not ignoring them but I have several ways that they are used to which answers their calls for attention. I rarely go and let them out of their cage for time with me.

I can not guarantee that this will work for you but it works for us.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I agree with Laurie. Myself I make one small change. Since I'm working from home I do let them out to play with me in the evenings while it's still bright. Not as a mad group but selectively based on their energy levels.

Babies gotta wrestle. Cha Cha must eat with me, etc. It's the predictable routine they love

Plus you gotta remember mine have huge flights. One pair even has the spare bedroom.

Olena

Real Name
Olena
Thanks for all the advice! I’ve already ordered a clicker. And I try some small things to train with positive reinforcement. I’m still figuring out his favourite treat though (he seems to change his mind every day), as well as his attention call.

But it seems to me now, the problem is that we are always in the same room. I live in a small studio flat, and the cage sits right on my table. I work from home most of the time, so I’m out of his sight only if I go to the bathroom or leave the appartment. He gets anxious if I go towards the doors. And he screams when I leave the room, of course. I say “bye-bye Jake” when I go outside. And I say “in a minute” or nothing at all if it’s bathroom time. I try to come back only when he stops screaming, and I tell him how much a good boy he is if he waits silently, more or less.

But today it was a first time I cleaned the whole cage. My friend was there to keep him company while I did all the cleaning (I’ve invited her to come for this very purpose). So he got a lot of social interaction and entertainment, and asked for more later this evening (he loves cuddling in my hands, and doesn’t want to let me go for half an hour or more). And my good God, HOW HE SCREAMED when I went to the bathroom after my friend left :arghh: I never heard such an intense screaming from him. He calmed down only when I sat near the cage for a while, and even left for the sleeping perch soon after.

I’m thinking of moving the cage from the table, but I’m not sure it could be too far from me. The only two places that I’m sure are safe from drafts are near the table and near my bed. Both give him the view of all my movements around the room.

Should I move the cage? Or it won’t make a difference? Or is it a problem at all?

Last edited: