• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonded lovebirds questions

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hello I work at an animal shelter and we have three lovebirds with us. Two we believe are siblings (Kiwi/Papaya), and the third a female (Mango). They arrived separately. The single female and one of the pair (believed to be male) became friends and we let them play supervised but caged separately. The third bird flies solo when everyone is out of their cages, and does like the female.

Now our three little friends are looking for homes. Mango and Kiwi play together daily supervised, and Papaya has become more people friendly. Now my question is can we seperate them? I'd like to see the pair stay together, but wasn't sure if the third wheel would be ok if they were adopted and he was left behind? I'm happy to make it that they have to be adopted together (seperate cages) but it will definitely take longer.

Thank you for your help! Watching them is such a great part of my day!!

Attachments

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You will get problems with trios. You could say need to be rehomed together but if possible to a home with another lovebird to make an even number

@Zara may have a good viewpoint on this...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm happy to make it that they have to be adopted together (seperate cages) but it will definitely take longer.
I understand what you are saying.
If I had to ever rehome my birds, my two pairs(Lapis, Nube, Aldora and Jaime) would have to be homed together, separate cages because they are so close to each other.

If you really feel that the third bird is happy being the third wheel then yes keep them as a group adoption.

However, what about a trial run? Could you maybe take the single bird home and see what happens? Will he miss his friends, will the pair be ok? (likely the pair won´t care too much) It could be that with lots of love and attention, the single bird will be happier without the pair.
If you can´t take the bird home, maybe place him in a different room?

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I guess we could house them in individual cages to start and see how that goes. And even move odd bird to another room. I know they can get so depressed if separated. I keep hoping for another single to come in ‍♀ but at least Odd Bird is much more interested in people which is a huge improvement!

He's sitting on me right now while the other two play and I clean their cages.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know they can get so depressed if separated.
The trial run will be a good way to detect just how strong a bond this bird has with the pair before they are permanently split.

Sounds like the little one will be ok in a family that has the time to spend with him :)

Sarahferal

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks again for the help! I've made a separate cage for the odd bird :) and will keep a close eye on everyone. I appreciate the suggestions! I'm learning about birds and having experts to help is very reassuring!

Reactions: Ali