• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bonded inr with lorikeet separate?

Themuffinm

Checking out the neighborhood
As title suggests, I’ve been looking around to get an Indian ring neck for some time and ended up adopting one from a friend of a friend who was desperate to get rid of it. She is a young blue inr (9 months) and is probably the sweetest parrot I’ve seen. She has never ever nipped even though that beak can do damage, is super quiet and I’m ready to start some training. Here’s my problem - she was kept and seems bonded to a male rainbow lorikeet that came with her. That bird is a foul creature that attacks me when i feed or clean or touch his food. Otherwise he’s ok and likes scratches. All that said, he’s a couple years older, he seems to be beating her up. Her feathers look pretty bad - plucked and broken, he attacks her when she attempts to eat and steals almonds or other things given to her. If I separate them by even 2 metres he starts squawking very loudly.

my preferred next step is to separate him into either a single parrot household or an aviary as her feathers are looking quite shabby and not eating / having her food taken from her can’t be pleasant. What’s holding me back is the moment I move her away, he starts screaming very loudly and she walks or flies back to him.

I guess my question is, do I separate them and deal with her screaming (any idea how long it would be) or leave them together (risking him plucking all her feathers out).

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Bonded birds should be kept together or in cages side by side and have time together every day.

Themuffinm

Bonded birds should be kept together or in cages side by side and have time together every day.
He’s attacking her, stops her eating and is ripping out her feathers as noted above. Still keep them together?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
No, not if she is in danger. Have a cage for each bird, and put the cages side by side.
They can have together time out of the cage during the day with you watching she is safe.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
He’s attacking her, stops her eating and is ripping out her feathers as noted above. Still keep them together?
No of course not. I missed that he was attacking her. Sorry
I think lorikeet can become territorial and bad even with same species mate

Last edited:

Themuffinm

No of course not. I missed that he was attacking her. Sorry
I think lorikeet can become territorial and bad even with same species mate
I thought ringnecks can hold their own and in fairness they’re evenly matched with her beak bigger but he’s just bad. He even nipped my dogs nose who came too close. Not sure how he was treated before to be honest. I’ve tried separate cages and it’s been 2 hours and he won’t stop screaming. She only makes noise in morning and a few squawks in afternoon to be let out of cage but he’s going nuts not able to be near her. Guess I’ll keep going and see what happens, not really sure what else I can do. I’m assuming female lorikeets are just as feisty so it’s not an issue.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Definitely need to be separated for the ring necks safety and comfort.

I am very curious how you are/were able to manage the different diet requirements with them being together.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
This is a bit late but please separate the birds. I’d even advise a rehome for the lorikeet if he’s being abusive or moving him to another room.