• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boiled Egg Issue...

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Someone told me, that once a boiled egg starts to get dried out, it can kill chicks.
How long is a reasonable time to give parents to feed a boiled egg to chicks.
Obviously dependent on how hot and humid it is.
Any chicks food that will be readily taken and offered by parents?
Would it be a good idea to let parents (before they have chicks) get used to the food they will feed?
Or does it not matter? Some brands' weaning food for canaries still seems too big. Any highly recommended weaning products for canary chicks at all stages? Thank you kindly!

Solly

Strolling the yard
Hi Fife, any wet food or fresh food needs to be changed reguLarly especially with chicks. I changed my food every 4 hours - I am lucky that I come home from work at lunchtimes so it’s doable for me. plus here it isn’t that hot/humid During the canary breeding season.

so I only had one unexpected chick but I did feed a good diet every day at breakfas, lunch and dinner then all fresh food was removed before bedtime.
I gave a mix of different things like Pearle morbide, emp egg food and Chia seeds all mixed to a crumbly consistency. Then I fed different veg/sprouted/soaked seed and millet Which I changed regularly.

when George got bigger he copied mum and dad and ate what he ate. But I mashed the egg and shell up more to begin with then cut it into quarters so that he would get the idea to bite at it. To be fair he likes his grub so I never had any issues. I also left him with his dad a long time to As he fed him for a very long time.