• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Body Language between amazons

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hi AA!

I volunteer at an aviary where we have three Amazons.

Harvey (Yellow-Fronted) has always reacted very strongly to Mya (DYH). Harvey would flare his tail, pin his eyes, and get very excited when he sees Mya. He will sit as close as he can to her. He also calls out when she goes out of his view. Miss Mya has a very neutral reaction to Harvey and doesn't seem to care a lot one way or another.
Normally they are in adjacent cages that are separated by a solid wall, so they didn't get to see eachother unless they went into their outdoor flight. So here are my questions...

We recently placed them in large flight cages beside each other, that are separated by a double layer of wire. Now they can see each other. Harvey was almost always hanging onto the cage wire closest to Mya's cage, and was making noise and acting excited (tail flaring, eyes pinning, making lots of noise and calling).

Mya was strutting on the perch furthest away from Harvey, with her wings out and tail flared, and eye pinning. I had to leave, but I couldn't tell if it was aggression or if it was a display for Harvey. She has done it before in her cage when I'm in there, but she was never aggressive to me, and it seemed more hormonal. Is this an aggressive/stress related behaviour, or is it courtship? Could someone tell me what courtship from Mya might look like?

I've attached a rough schematic (it isn't complete, there are a lot more branches and toys and perches in their cage). If his obsession continues we may put a "privacy curtain" between the two.

Thank you, amazon experts!

Attachments

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad I only have 1 & that Buddy IS a male.

@Alliusis

It would help us Amazon people to have a short video of this. I know they can be posted but I've never done it. I'm not sure if you have a phone or if someone could get one too you to get posted here.

Here are the instructions:

How To: Post a Picture / Video | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Our board will be up & down all week as we are upgrading, so if you can't get in for some reason don't panic, just try again later.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
When Angel sees something he wants or someone he likes, he slicks back his feathers, leans over and lowers his head, pins his eyes, and shimmies his wings. I immediately know he wants it NOW! This is his stance before he flies to my shoulder or jumps on a new toy! It signals he's excited! The rest of the crew don't ever do this particular display.

At first I thought it was a fighting or warning type stance, but with Angel any way it signals Happy Happy, Joy Joy!!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I love how great Zon body language is once you learn it, you know it. If you don't know it & don't heed (sp?) it, watch out!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
All this interest in one another probably stems from the novelty that they can now see each other rather than just hear each other. It may calm down when they are more used to each other. Personally I think it is favourable that they can now see each other. I'd just keep monitoring them daily and see if they calm down. Doesn't really sound like aggression to me.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Thank you for your advice! The behaviour has definitely calmed down. I'm sorry for not replying sooner as it's been busy, and I didn't get a chance to video it! They both seem much happier so I'm excited for them :)