• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bobs results are +

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: Oh, so sorry to hear :(
If you don't already have a great air filtration system, I'd think about looking into one of those.
Depending on temps there, after doing a thorough cleaning of everything that you will keep, you can put it right outside in freezing weather to help kill off remaning contagious germs. Perhaps get a tarp or some sort of plastic to cover it. If extreme heat kills it, then multiple steam cleanings should help things like upholstery and other porous objects. I found this: Sporicidin Disinfectant which is supposed to be safe to use in capet cleaners and "safe for pets." I don't know a whole lot about it, maybe someone else has experience with the stuff, but it looks like it could be helpful in killing off some of the PDD virus that could be around.

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
My vet did not say that I had nothing to worry about by keeping Bob in another room. He was trying to be hopeful. I am worried sick about my other birds, as any of us would be. I may have miss spoke. He was "throwing me a bone" Thank you everybody. Allison your knowledge has been very helpful

(
nfortunately most vets (even Avian vets) don't know much about PDD. It is a very hard disease to diagnose and test for. The test for ABV has just been developed over the last couple of years and there is still a lot of mystery as to how it's spread and why some exposed birds get it, while others don't. I was told by a vet who attended the AAV conference this year that it was announced that recent studies showed that it is indeed an airborne disease (it was previously thought to be contagious through an infected birds droppings and other fluids). I don't think this information has gotten around to all Avian Vets who did not attend the conference, so not all vets will know best on this subject. If her vet is telling her that since Bob was kept in another room there is nothing to worry about with her other birds, I'm assuming he/she hasn't heard about the new studies. There are several vets who specialize in PDD who I would contact if you are worried about your other birds.

Also, the ABV virus doesn't live long off of the host. It dies in several minutes away from a host so I wouldn't worry too much about disenfecting. If you want to make yourself feel better you can, but really, the virus is probably already gone.

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am so sorry!:( I'm praying for you and your flock!:hug8:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Honestly Dawn, I would try not to worry yourself. I think if you can get through the next few months with your birds not showing any signs, you will be "out of the woods" so to speak. At least I pray for your sake that you will be. :hug8:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
What usually are the main signs of PDD? What should one look out for? With seeing this happen a few times here on AA, It really scares me and makes me wonder how I would know?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Allison thank you so much for sharing this information. Knowledge is power.

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
What usually are the main signs of PDD? What should one look out for? With seeing this happen a few times here on AA, It really scares me and makes me wonder how I would know?
PDD infects the digestive system and brain of a bird. Birds with PDD have trouble digesting food. Some birds vomit, some have abnormal feces sometimes with undigested food in it, sometimes diarrhea. Other birds have neurological signs such as loss of balance, shaky movements, falling over, and also seizures. Some birds also start losing feeling in their feet and can't perch or move around comfortably. Some birds will chew on their feet once they lose feeling to them.
Birds can live for years with PDD with proper treatment, though there is no cure. With treatment (and sometimes without treatment), birds with PDD can go into remission and show absolutely no signs for a year or more. Eventually they will most likely die from it or some other illness caused by their compromised immune systems.

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
I am trying:lol:
In my heart I knew Bob was a realy sick bird with PDD...and again in my heart I know my others are fine:heart::hug8:Now lets just hope mommys intuition is right:)

Honestly Dawn, I would try not to worry yourself. I think if you can get through the next few months with your birds not showing any signs, you will be "out of the woods" so to speak. At least I pray for your sake that you will be. :hug8:

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
I am so sorry to hear about Bob's diagnosis. I can't offer you anything more than what others have already said, but you must be worried sick and I hope that we at AA can help support you through this difficult time.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Usually intuition is right and My prayers are with You that you are right!:hug8:

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
If thats what you feel deep down Dawn you are right :hug8::hug8:

Everything will be fine!!

You said to start with you felt like you needed to do SOMETHING, so I would agree with everyone who said CLEAN!!
Clean till you cant clean no more!! Put things out in the sun to fry them, bleach things, like window sills and scrub fly screens, this could be like a huge spring clean and keep you busy for months, and by that time you will probably be diagnosed with a cleaning problem :lol:

Nothing is silly or stupid if it makes you feel comfortable, or even just a little better about a situation..

:heart::heart::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.