• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bobbing head? Regurgitating??

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
HELP!!!

Oh man!! With all the reading I’ve done!
I think I’m doing too much!

so I let my bird sit on my shoulder while I work and sometimes she gets upset if I try to take her off but never bites.
I play with her a lot and give her lots of attention. I’m always walking by and giving her a kissy on her beak...
It I pet her throughout the day. I let her walk around the house and she’s literally like a free bird and just rolls with me from AM to PM!!!

today right now! I was like “gimme kiss kiss” and after trying to continue to teach her stuff she started to bob her head then it looked like she was eating something. She pressed her beak against my hands then tried to reach for my lips!!!!!
I tried to discourage whatever was happening so I usually shake my fingers a little so she stop but it didn’t work so I put her down. I saw a little something came up but she ate it and so u walked away......

man I doing something wrong??? Too much attention? Not understanding body language? Or maybe everything is ok but it seems like she thinks I’m a baby or her MATE!???????

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Sounds like she either just adjusted her crop or potentially considers you a mate.

How old is she? Has she tried rubbing her backside against you?
Make sure to only pet her on the head or neck, never anywhere else as it can be considered sexual in the bird world, don't provide anything that resembles a nest or dark space that will promote breeding behaviour & if she's old enough to have hit puberty or rubbing on you then I'd also avoid giving her mushy or warm foods for a while so that she doesn't think you're regurgitating for her, unless of course she's a lorikeet or requires a wet diet.

Definitely put a stop to any mating signs asap as it can lead to all sorts of issues with hormones, aggression & frustration. Discouraging most things require zero response other than a "no", stern look, turn your back and walk away. Finger wagging, especially to deter mating, likely won't do you any favours.

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hi!
Ya she hasn’t done it since then! I completely ignore it or put her down and walk away. And no... Noooo rubbing on me or her boots up at all. Thanks goodness lol

I def stopped even touching or petting anywhere other than her head...
I do give he kisses on her beak when she’s on my shoulder... she just nibbles on my nose or makes little noises and tries to eat whatever I’m eating... but I started to try and give her HER veggies when I’m eating and trying the whole “part of my flock” thing I guess.....

which reminds me I stopped giving her fruits this week especially apples! They actually were veerrrryyy sweet!

she spends ALL of her time walking around my house and outside her cage. And I was Told that not getting enough sleep can cause some hormonal behaviors. I can hear her playing with her toys middle of the night so I remove them before she goes to bed. I feel terrible but I want her to be healthy and get some good sleep toooo!!

She is def making a lot of happy little noises so I don’t think she’s too mad lol

is there anything else u suggest? Or something I differently?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I can hear her playing with her toys middle of the night so I remove them before she goes to bed. I feel terrible but I want her to be healthy and get some good sleep toooo!!

She is def making a lot of happy little noises so I don’t think she’s too mad lol

is there anything else u suggest? Or something I differently?
A sleep cage might make life easier for you. Moving toys every morning and night would be a big job. A sleep cage would be a small cage set up just to sleep in, and she can use her normal cage during the day.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Ya she hasn’t done it since then! I completely ignore it or put her down and walk away. And no... Noooo rubbing on me or her boots up at all. Thanks goodness lol
In that case maybe she was just adjusting her crop & a little bit came out, I've seen my oldest conure do this a couple of times.

I can hear her playing with her toys middle of the night so I remove them before she goes to bed.
Sounds like she's sleeping in a room with activity &/or lights? Birds generally require an average of 10-12 hours of undisturbed sleep, so it's best to let them sleep in a room with the least disturbance or change your activity to another room once lights are out.