• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boarding or home alone

SpecialK

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone, I need to board Vinny for 10 days and want to make the best decision. Any advice? I have found a vet tech at a vet that will keep him in her home. She has parakeets so I feel like she would be able to handle any situation that might arise. My other choice would be letting Vinny stay at home alone with someone checking on him twice a day. I'm home with him all the time and he is very spoiled, lots of attention! I'm leaning towards boarding him so he won't be lonesome but am afraid he might pick up bird "germs" from the boarder's birds. Opinions, please!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does the vet tech have other birds she is boarding or will it just be her parakeets? If so, I would select the option of having her watch Vinny. If you were just going away for a couple days, I would say he would maybe be fine at home alone with someone checking on him but 10 days is pretty long for a bird used to having someone with him most of the time.

SpecialK

Sitting on the front steps
It will just be her own parakeets. Very good point! I hadn't thought of that, so the birds should be healthy.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d be guessing a vet tech would not offer to board a bird if they had contagious birds.
I agree 10 days is too long for a bird used to company.