• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boarding a cockatiel during egg laying cycle

Sparn02

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan Parnell
Hi,
My cockatiel started laying eggs and just laid her fourth egg this past Fri. Today, I am having to board her due to upcoming travel for thanksgiving. I am worried about having to separate her from her eggs (unfertilized). Do I bring the eggs with her to the boarding place? Is there a higher chance of her becoming egg bound (I am hoping she is finished laying her eggs)? Should I not board her and opt for a neighbor to visit her? How would you handle this situation? Thank you for your insight.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Should I not board her and opt for a neighbor to visit her?
That would be the best option whether there are or not any eggs.
If it´s not an option, then take the eggs with her to board. They are non viable anyway so no worries abut travel damaging the chick in the eggs.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That would be the best option whether there are or not any eggs.
If it´s not an option, then take the eggs with her to board. They are non viable anyway so no worries abut travel damaging the chick in the eggs.
+1
If you were to board her without the eggs she'd lay even more to replace the missing ones.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
+1
If you were to board her without the eggs she'd lay even more to replace the missing ones.
I agree,..better to have trusted friend or neighbor care for her, but have have info on hand, vet, ect..I think it would be more stressful to board her,,The boarding places around here wont be there 24/7 and definitely will not be open Thanksgiving.