• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I read that the B&G Macaws are the only ones that can "blush". The vet told me that it was his blood pressure rising. Einstein seems to be blushing a lot the past few days. Any ideas. Should I be worried?

geekasaurus

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chrissy
yeah i had a red front and she blushed like crazy. my hahn's has also blushed a couple times. i don't know that it is anything medical unless it's happening without any reason?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I do not have a Macaw nor I am expert in anything for that matter.

I do have a birds with "bags" though and I guess you could say they blush the bags get very warm/hot when he is excited and get almost purple in color.

When does your bird blush? When playing? When simply relaxed and perching? Do you have pics of the blushing ?? Can you get some?

Attachments

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
It seems to come and go randomly. He can be just sitting there, or it can be right after he has taken flight across the room. I can try to get a picture. He doesn't seem to be having any trouble breathing or anything so that's good.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
With Macaws it is quite normal. It is an excitement indicator. Diego blushes often, especially when he is yelling or singing.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
That is something Macaw peeps will have to comment on. My guys "blushing" only happens when he has been flying, playing etc.

I have never seen a vet take a blood pressure on a bird....now you have me curious.

Off to hit Google to see if it is something they can do.

**EDIT** I am back when I googled it most of the talk is this, LMBO.

Crying children and crying parrots are both proven to raise blood pressure.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Ray blushes when he is happy or excited

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
There is no need to worry Lucy does this when she is excited/mad/happy/any other emotion. It occurs more often with excited and mad but it happens at random times as well.

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
Thanks Logan, I was afraid at first he might be overheating or something, but well, you know what the weather is here lol. By the way I love that pic of Lucy!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've noticed that Tika kind of blushes around his eyes. Also totally random. I've never seen it on Amanda. :confused:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
None of my 'toos have blushed unless they were having allergies to a certain smell, or food, etc.

Gra used to blush ALL the time. I always made her excited and happy. Most macaws will start blushing if they are excited, modest, etc, for whatever reason. They just do :) Not just blue and golds, but ALL species of macaw.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not to worry, all macaws can blush as others have said if excited, angered or whenever. They will blush also when exposed to sunlight without any other reason. Our BTM blushes more than any of the others, he is an excitable little guy.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Thanks Logan, I was afraid at first he might be overheating or something, but well, you know what the weather is here lol. By the way I love that pic of Lucy!
You are making Lucy blush:blush2: lol
When a bird overheats they will be open beaked panting with their wings hanging losely from their body. How is Einstein doing?

T

TinaM

My RFM's blush, the baby RFM's blush.. my Hahns babies blush, my Greys blush.

...I don't blush. Really. Nope. I don't blush!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
This is news to me a beginner on looking after one! Will watch chaz closely in the morning and see if I can notice any changes in him.:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.