• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bluefront

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Wanted to know about life spans of my bird I’ve had Munchy 28 yrs thank god never seen a vet I do all I can for my buddy keep him company feed him well keep him away from danger.so what’s a normal life for my bird, and how can I tell when he’s old, sick never, so far

Attachments

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
@Clueless @Fuzzy should help more but amazons typically live 40 years.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Munchy is gorgeous!! :heart:

Hmmmm - old - some birds start to get arthritis and it begins to get harder to fly/move. I have a rescued 56+ year old Panama Amazon, Chico, who has bad arthritis in his legs so I have had to adapt his cage because of his disabilities - he falls a lot because the locking mechanism in his feet doesn't work any more. He is also pretty much blind which brings me to another aging point - older birds can get cataracts in their eyes - often you can see them easier in photos of the bird. If Munchy has a good diet and is able to regularly exercise he'll be protected somewhat. I see he is flighted which is great for him exercise wise. Can he get out in the sun a little? Or does he eat eggs? I'm thinking of protecting his bones with Vit D/calcium. As for being ill, that's so great he's never been sick. Sick birds are often less likely to move and sit puffed up, perhaps on two legs rather than the relaxed one leg. There might be discharge from the nostrils. Checking droppings should be a daily routine - droppings/poops tell you so much about their health. It's also a good idea to weigh them so that you know something is up if the weight changes. I know Munchy has never been ill, but it would be good to earmark or register him with your nearest Avian vet in case of an emergency in the future. Avian if possible, if not, exotic or ones with an interest in birds. I got caught out with a sick budgie some 20 years ago - I rushed him to an normal emergency vet who hadn't a clue what was wrong, but was able to recommend an avian vet who immediately diagnosed chlamydia and therefore we were able to treat him just in time.

Hopefully Clueless and others will have more to offer. :)

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Munchy is gorgeous!! :heart:

Hmmmm - old - some birds start to get arthritis and it begins to get harder to fly/move. I have a rescued 56+ year old Panama Amazon, Chico, who has bad arthritis in his legs so I have had to adapt his cage because of his disabilities - he falls a lot because the locking mechanism in his feet doesn't work any more. He is also pretty much blind which brings me to another aging point - older birds can get cataracts in their eyes - often you can see them easier in photos of the bird. If Munchy has a good diet and is able to regularly exercise he'll be protected somewhat. I see he is flighted which is great for him exercise wise. Can he get out in the sun a little? Or does he eat eggs? I'm thinking of protecting his bones with Vit D/calcium. As for being ill, that's so great he's never been sick. Sick birds are often less likely to move and sit puffed up, perhaps on two legs rather than the relaxed one leg. There might be discharge from the nostrils. Checking droppings should be a daily routine - droppings/poops tell you so much about their health. It's also a good idea to weigh them so that you know something is up if the weight changes. I know Munchy has never been ill, but it would be good to earmark or register him with your nearest Avian vet in case of an emergency in the future. Avian if possible, if not, exotic or ones with an interest in birds. I got caught out with a sick budgie some 20 years ago - I rushed him to an normal emergency vet who hadn't a clue what was wrong, but was able to recommend an avian vet who immediately diagnosed chlamydia and therefore we were able to treat him just in time.

Hopefully Clueless and others will have more to offer. :)
Thank you very much for pointers and yes it makes sense just because he’s healthy now doesn’t mean he always will be, I must prepare myself now, he loves eggs boiled a little fried sometimes I give him snacks but just a taste, I feed my dog boiled chicken I give him tiny piece he likes that too, I’m guessing moderation,he does not fly nor can he be touched he will gently accept any treat by hand,what happened was when he was very young I tried training him,he bit me and drew blood I freaked out and smacked him I was young too, now I’m 63 and I wish I could take it back but I dramatized him, he’s still a very happy bird does all kinds of mimics wistles shows off around women talking stays pretty active on his cage up down stairs all around his cage wings not clipped or nails, I buy these perches with like sandpaper it keeps nails filed no beak work either, I’m gonna research about bird doctor I must be ready.thank you for the heads up.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a picture of Secret that was dated 1978.

Be careful of those sandpaper perches. They can hurt the bottom of their feet.

I went to an aging parrot seminar at Phoenix Landing. I'll see if I can find an old thread.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Only 40? I was lied to, I heard 100 plus,are you sure 40?bluefront amazonongood diet and very comfortable.
I’ve usually heard of them living 40 years but fuzzy says his/hers is 56+. I’ve never heard of any living 100 years.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Here was a thread

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
I’ve usually heard of them living 40 years but fuzzy says his/hers is 56+. I’ve never heard of any living 100 years.
I think only owners of breed would really know.anyone?

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Wanted to know about life spans of my bird I’ve had Munchy 28 yrs thank god never seen a vet I do all I can for my buddy keep him company feed him well keep him away from danger.so what’s a normal life for my bird, and how can I tell when he’s old, sick never, so far
Thank you for likes.

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
I have a picture of Secret that was dated 1978.

Be careful of those sandpaper perches. They can hurt the bottom of their feet.

I went to an aging parrot seminar at Phoenix Landing. I'll see if I can find an old thread.
I’ve used them frequent and munchy likes them too,I think if he didn’t like he would not use but he does.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ve used them frequent and munchy likes them too,I think if he didn’t like he would not use but he does.
Are your sandpaper perches rough the whole way around the perch or are they smooth on the top to protect your birds feet?
The ones that are rough all the way around are very commonly the cause of bumblefoot which is awful and difficult to correct so they are best avoided at all costs.
Many of us use the pedi perches but never the ones that are rough all over.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
If you Google it seems the average lifespan for a Blue Front is around 55 years old. But I think parrots like people have differing end by dates, depending on genes, diet, mental stimulation, exercise etc.

There was a Blue Fronted Amazon called Sim in Jersey, Channel Islands where I'm based, who lived until he was 71 years old - he died two years ago. Here is a short article celebrating his 70th Hatchday in 2019:

I believe the big Cockatoos and maybe the big Macaws are the longest living parrots.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are 2 accounts on Instagram I follow that have Amazon’s that are 82 and I think the other one is 81.

I definitely believe that genetics, environment and care are all factors for how long captive birds live.

Munchy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Archie gallo
Are your sandpaper perches rough the whole way around the perch or are they smooth on the top to protect your birds feet?
The ones that are rough all the way around are very commonly the cause of bumblefoot which is awful and difficult to correct so they are best avoided at all costs.
I will take precaution and remove, it’s a small perch about 8 inches

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
He is beautiful :)

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
When Paco first came into my life, 12 years ago, a very experienced avian vet said he was 45-55 years old at the time. Unfortunately the only proof I have of his approximate age is his open band. If that helps :)
I think the more we learn about what they need for optimal health the more we will see captive parrots living much longer. Sunflower seeds were the diet of choice for pet parrots not that long ago considering.