• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blueberry gets a housemate! and I could use some training advice

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Blueberry got a housemate, a 3.5-ish year old green male who's never been handled by people aside from nail trims. I swear he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, seems somewhat shy but still wants to engage. He took to new foods immediately. I've had him basically 5 weeks, and he will now take food (but not millet) from my fingers as long as I move slowly. He watches everything like a hawk and seems pretty smart. He has started perching towards the front of the cage now too, which is good.

Interesting thing about Mylo, here's the order of learning from the beginning, and it seems really odd to me:

He quickly learned to step up on my hand when loose in the bathroom the very first time (i was trying to weigh him!). I was so surprised that I had to do it again several days later, just to be sure!
He also learned to step up on my hand from inside the smaller temporary cage he was in at first.

Transfer to larger cage with Blueberry and everything changed...

He started taking food from my hands without running away,
but...
He runs away from my hand while inside the cage if he thinks I'm trying to ask for a step up.
He runs away from a stick or a dowel while inside the cage.
He will step up ONLY onto a dowel when outside the cage but still in my room. If I try to give him a treat while on the dowel, he will fly off. If I try to get him onto my hand from the dowel, he will fly off.
If I take him outside of the room on the dowel, he will then readily step up onto my hand and even ladder until the cows come home. He's a little nervous being outside my room you can tell, but he's like a different bird with his acceptance of my hands, and he obviously has learned step up.

Why would a bird only accept hands outside of the immediate living area? If he's not afraid of me out there, why is he so resistant in here? He watches Blueberry run over to me like a magnet every time I open the door, so it's not like a bad example is being set in the cage. I could accept that maybe he'll never really be a hand percher, except he's already proven otherwise outside of the normal living area. Sooo....

I'm curious what you're highest value training treats are for your linnies? I have yet to find any food that is more enticing than running away when he even suspects a step up might be involved inside the cage or room. Grapes and safflower seeds are his favorite, but even those won't work when it comes down to it. He utterly ignores millet if I'm holding it at any length. And when I hand him a safflower seed (not trying to do anything else, just hand it to him), he takes his sweet time eating just that single seed. He can go for up to 1.5 minutes fiddling around with it and finally eating it and then licking his lips (so to speak). I foresee the world's slowest training sessions due to eating speed?? The only smaller thing I have are hemp seeds, but he just drops those. So again, coming up with treats for training is proving tough and I'm not very creative.

Thanks for reading my little novel here,

-NG

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on Mylo! I look forward to all your updates!

Linnies are notoriously hand shy and my girl is not an exception. When she was very young she stepped up from anywhere. I'm not sure when it changed but I assume by about 6 months. Now Gigi has a reliable step only when she is in a strange place, like the bathroom after a shower, the floor if she ends up there by mistake, if friends are visiting and at the vet's office where she looks like the most behaved Linnie ever. No where else. So strange considering this is a bird that adores me and spends lots of time on my shoulder and lap. I can tap my shoulder ("Wanna be a shoulder girl?") or the sofa arm ("Gimme that bird right here!") and she will often fly there.

Gigi is also not interested in eating anything from my hand. She will cautiously eat off something small off my plate if offered and if I let her she would love to eat right out of my mouth. She's a big hardy girl but apparently not as food motivated as the average Linnie.

I wish I could help!

NorthernGannet

Thanks @Dona! It's funny how none of my other three are shy at all, and they're all easily bribable with food. But Mylo will sit there and contemplate whether or not to give in and come over for a grape or whatever, and meanwhile one of the other guys will just fly over and plop onto my hand and take over like "see? THIS is how it's done!". It's pretty funny. Of course then Mylo goes "well if HE'S eating it, I can do that!" and he'll try to come over, but then whoever's usurped it will shoo him away (everyone is still at the shooing-him-away point). So I have to be mindful of that. Mostly i try to work with him one-on-one still.

Anyhow, maybe he'll be like Gigi: I'm considered safe only when he's in a strange place (i.e. anywhere outside the immediate room we live and breathe in). I had not thought of it like that.

I'd post a photo of him but honestly he is overpreened and the back of his head and neck area are not too pretty. Lol. The good news is that today I counted 5 pin feathers on his bald spots and 2 pins up above his nares where it's not bald, so I am more hopeful that he will look relatively normal again, someday. He is some shade of grassy-ish green, and in the lights under the cage you can just barely see a hint of blue on his forehead. It's very subtle, but it's there! He seems to be really really sweet.

The big question is: how did Blueberry react? Despite cages being next to each other, and the first couple of days of Blueberry going into Mylo's cage being ok, the third day Blueberry cut loose and went full out Ogre towards Mylo. It was ugly, and for a few days I thought it wasn't going to work because he was really mean towards him and would do this hideous scream I'd never heard before! It sent poor Mylo running, and I had to separate a couple times for fear of injury. But then one day he softened and it's been getting better. I think now Blueberry secretly likes having another bird in with him, although he won't yet openly admit it. I don't know if they'll ever buddy up and preen each other, but they are living together fairly well in BB's larger cage.

Sprite and Jellybean have been nicer towards Mylo right off the bat than they were towards Blueberry for his first 4 months. Lol.

-NG

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love your stories NG. :) Looking forward to seeing your green boy when he's more presentable. I wish I could see your whole flock IRL. They all sound full of personality! And I can tell you have a way with them.

NorthernGannet

Lol! That is nice of you to say, but I'm pretty sure you'd be at least mildly horrified at the chaos that ensues when they're all out and about. I like how Gigi flies to you pretty much on command! None of mine do that when called. IRL would be really fun though. When I brought Mylo home one of my first thoughts was "Look out Gigi, it's now an even number for that elusive play date!" :roflmao:

NorthernGannet

Literally two days after posting this, Mylo decided to start stepping up on the dowel from inside the cage. Then this past weekend he got really brave and actually stepped up on my finger from inside the cage! I was so shocked that I froze, and he looked at me like "well? what now?" and then he flew right by me and exited the cage while I just sat there holding my hand out in a stunned state. Lol. So now he will step up onto my finger from exactly one spot inside the cage. LOL! At first he'd run around a bunch first, but today when I opened the door he just hustled straight to that magic spot and said "ok, I'm here! Hurry up!" and got right on. So, he's getting brave with me, finally. Still using the dowel to get him back in though.

Turns out he also luuuuuvs broccoli! None of my others will eat it, so I'd not thought to try it until this morning when there were some leftovers from last night. Man, he dove right in. Now I'm wondering if he was exposed to various foods wherever he was bred because I know for sure he spent the last 3-3.5 yrs of his life eathing nothing but poor seed mix, yet he's been eagerly willing to try anything I've put in there. He also loves eggs, which the others don't eat (although now that Blueberry's watched, he's eaten a few).

That's our update :)

-NG

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Literally two days after posting this, Mylo decided to start stepping up on the dowel from inside the cage. Then this past weekend he got really brave and actually stepped up on my finger from inside the cage! I was so shocked that I froze, and he looked at me like "well? what now?" and then he flew right by me and exited the cage while I just sat there holding my hand out in a stunned state. Lol. So now he will step up onto my finger from exactly one spot inside the cage. LOL! At first he'd run around a bunch first, but today when I opened the door he just hustled straight to that magic spot and said "ok, I'm here! Hurry up!" and got right on. So, he's getting brave with me, finally. Still using the dowel to get him back in though.

Turns out he also luuuuuvs broccoli! None of my others will eat it, so I'd not thought to try it until this morning when there were some leftovers from last night. Man, he dove right in. Now I'm wondering if he was exposed to various foods wherever he was bred because I know for sure he spent the last 3-3.5 yrs of his life eathing nothing but poor seed mix, yet he's been eagerly willing to try anything I've put in there. He also loves eggs, which the others don't eat (although now that Blueberry's watched, he's eaten a few).

That's our update :)

-NG
Love your update! Congrats on your progress with Mylo! Adorable that he has the perfect spot in the cage to step up. And how great that you are able to improve his diet!

NorthernGannet

Ya, he's still got a lot of head/neck feathers to grow back, so I hope I'm doing right by him on the diet business!