• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bluebell the Parrotlet

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
She's settled in quite nicely. I'm trying to teach her to step up without biting. Lol

I haven't been able to get her to the vet just yet because my usual vet is on vacation. I contacted the store about her symptoms, and they had me bring her in. They believe it's an upper respiratory infection, and she's seeing the vet tomorrow. Obviously, I'm worried about my other parrotlet now, but I'm taking it all one step at a time. :)

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
She's settled in quite nicely. I'm trying to teach her to step up without biting. Lol

I haven't been able to get her to the vet just yet because my usual vet is on vacation. I contacted the store about her symptoms, and they had me bring her in. They believe it's an upper respiratory infection, and she's seeing the vet tomorrow. Obviously, I'm worried about my other parrotlet now, but I'm taking it all one step at a time. :)
Glad you are taking her in tomorrow. I would take them both in. If she is sick and is showing signs she is already in a lot of trouble. Parrotlets' often do not show signs of illness until they are in real danger. I would not recommend caging them together ever, unless you are planning on breeding. Parrotlets' can become suddenly aggressive and kill their long time cage mates. But aside from that they are avid layers and are prone to egg binding, even if they are not actively mating. Make sure Bluebell's food has plenty of calcium to avoid egg binding. Trust me I have been through that with one of my girls and it is terrifying. I hope she comes out okay with the respiratory infection, if that is what is. Be sure her area is clean and well ventilated. Make sure there are absolutely no aerosols or smelly things around that might be causing the issue.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
So, I finally reached out to the store to tell them of my concern, and they took her to the vet for me. Turns out she's completely fine. They did all the stardard tests, and this is the same vet I use. This guy is amazing. He basically said that the sound she's making is just her unique little parrotlet sounds. Amusingly, no one at the store realized that either. She was apparently making a sound none of us had heard except the vet.

She's now back home with a clean bill of health from the same vet I wound have taken her to for her first check up. She's very happy to be home with scritches from her mama, fresh veggies, yummy fruits, hemp seed, and Pascal...but mostly the hemp seed.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
What a relief! Though I have to say, that does not inspire confidence in the store. But good on them for admitting they didn't know and there might be a problem, and helping you get her to the vet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’re aware aren’t you, that when they step up they test first with their beak? It’s not exactly biting.

Although I understand if you meant something else. They can be bitey little buggers.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Yeah, she was drawing blood. She hasn't since she's been home again though. She's a fiesty little girl. Lol I love her.