• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bluebell the Parrotlet

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
I just gotta share! :pletb:

So, there's been a parrotlet at my local petstore (a small, family-owned shop) that I've adored for a month. However, we haven't had the money to consider adding another parrotlet to our family ($200). Well, yesterday my husband surprised me by saying we could afford it! So, we went there to meet/interact with/ask about her. She's 14 weeks, likes scritches, and is just as sassy as everyone keeps telling me parrotlets are! On the other hand, Pascal (my first parrotlet) is skittish and shy.

I have named her Bluebell.

We brought her home, set her up in a temporary cage, and then I let Pascal out for his free-flight time. I went to get vegetables for the birds, and when I came back, he was sitting atop her cage, chatting with her. Then, he started feeding her. I assumed this was a good sign?! So, I let her come out to meet him, and she started to preen him. I'm not YET letting them share his giant cage, but I think they will be good friends.

BUT I have a concern. She's making little cough/sneeze sounds/clicking (I have no idea if that's what they are) that she wasn't making in the store. She's not otherwise acting sick. She's eating/playing/yelling with Pascal. Should I keep an eye on it or freak out? Cuz I'm sorta prone to freaking out.

Q: Should I call the store when they open to ask about it?

Q2: The store just treated for bird mites. Could this be the issue?

I'll upload photos in a moment. Gotta get 'em off phone.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You must quarantine a new bird. I hope she didn't pass anything to Pascal.

Depending what you mean by sneezing sound.. parrotlets do have a few clicks that indicate excitement, greeting, or fear. Most of the clicks are quick and short.. but there is also a sort of chorp groan sound when two birds meet. They will also bow toward the others feet whilst making the groan sound. "Cheeeeww...roarp" sorta sound.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
I followed the bad advice of the bird lady at the store and didn't quarantine. WHOOPS.

She apparently doesn't quarantine new birds? Cuz she told me to just put them together in his cage and see how they interact. I was too cautious to do that.

So, shall I just keep them apart while I monitor her? I have everyone in room because the cat lives upstairs, and the birds live downstairs.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well since they have already fed each other if she is sick there is an honest concern she could have passed it along. I would try and keep them apart anyway, fingers crossed.

I keep my new bird in a seperate room for 4weeks some people do more.

If you are worried about her, don't hesitate to take her to the vet for a check up. It is a good thing to do with a new bird anyway to develop a relationship with the vet and have more information to monitor her wellbeing.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Yeah, that's true. I feel silly for not thinking of it. :/ Thank you! I guess I've always had such luck with my new birds always being healthy that it's never crossed my mind...

I definitely wanna get her to the vet. Just gotta wait till Thursday (pay day!).

I love my vet. They tolerate my fussing over my birds so well. XD

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Omg very bad advice! 1. Always quarantine and 2. You don’t just shove a parrotlet into another’s cage — especially a male!
Recipe for disaster.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Omg very bad advice! 1. Always quarantine and 2. You don’t just shove a parrotlet into another’s cage — especially a male!
Recipe for disaster.
*nods* I'm glad I had read (on here) that parrotlets can be territorial, so I knew not to do that.

That store loves their animals, but they aren't always reliable as experts.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
*nods* I'm glad I had read (on here) that parrotlets can be territorial, so I knew not to do that.

Yes but --- you are educated about them and know that. Imagine the other people, who follow their advice!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
She is just precious! Look at that little face! <3 congrats! And yes, always quarantine and vet check a new bird.

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
Yes but --- you are educated about them and know that. Imagine the other people, who follow their advice!
Too true. :/ I hope people research on their own, but I used to work for a pet store and I know that they usually do not...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Good to contact the store regarding what is going on and also to bring her to vet for a new bird check up.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
You said they treated for bird mites. Was it feather mites or air sac mites? If the latter, it takes more than one treatment to break the 7 day cycle. I don't know if p'lets are prone to air sac mites; I had a finch years ago that came with some and it was a nightmare trying to get rid of them for good. If you hold your ear very close them, you can hear a constant "clicking" when they breath, even when at rest doing nothing at all. Hopefully that's not what's going on!

FinchMaster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amelia
You said they treated for bird mites. Was it feather mites or air sac mites? If the latter, it takes more than one treatment to break the 7 day cycle. I don't know if p'lets are prone to air sac mites; I had a finch years ago that came with some and it was a nightmare trying to get rid of them for good. If you hold your ear very close them, you can hear a constant "clicking" when they breath, even when at rest doing nothing at all. Hopefully that's not what's going on!
Feather mites. ^^

Also, I got the perch as a 3 for 1 deal off Amazon :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Well, I think not. I would speak the manager of this store about the bad advice you were given so it is not repeated to another customer. Your bird is a little cutie and I hope no sickness or virus is passed between your birds.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You've gotten a lot of good advice here! Bluebell is so sweet. <3 I'm so happy for Pascal; he has a little friend now :xflove: and it definitely sounds like he's happy about that!