• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Blue watching Goldfish

Blue Parrot

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hello Pionus fans, here is Blue our blue headed pionus hanging out with our goldfish. He likes to observe them swim around the tank.

Fancy goldfish are surprisingly high maintenance pets, like parrots! They are beautiful but require a specialized diet, eat a lot and poop a lot...kinda like birds. But at least they are quiet.

fullsizeoutput_325f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3260.jpeg fullsizeoutput_325f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_3260.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pretty pictures and very cute. Your Pionus has a grossly overgrown beak and what appears to be a wound or sore on the side of his beak. Have you had him to see a vet? Poor baby - that wound probably hurts.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was looking at the long beak and raw spot too. Is this bird going to the vet soon i hope? Picture is sweet

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Very cute bird and fish pics :fairy3:

Blue Parrot

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I do appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I didn't even notice his overgrown beak as I just see him everyday and it has slowly grown more than usual. I have only had his beak groomed once in 12+ years and like many birds...he was kinda traumatized. He usually grinds it down on his toys and sandy/cement perch. So I will keep an eye on it.

By the way...does anyone think his beak needs immediate attention? It's my impression that pionus in particular are prone to beaks getting longer. But I'm not sure how much is too much and needs attention, and I would probably prefer to save him the trauma and stress.

I'm not sure what you mean by the wound or sore on his beak. Blue and all other blue headed pionus parrots I've seen have a pink/reddish patch on the side beak. I do hope I'm not missing something or that he truly has a health problem. If anyone else is concerned please let me know.

As Blue's proud papa, I do strive to provide him the best care and I can't help but feel a teeny bit defensive. I do thank you for your concern and positive comments.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I do appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I didn't even notice his overgrown beak as I just see him everyday and it has slowly grown more than usual. I have only had his beak groomed once in 12+ years and like many birds...he was kinda traumatized. He usually grinds it down on his toys and sandy/cement perch. So I will keep an eye on it.

By the way...does anyone think his beak needs immediate attention? It's my impression that pionus in particular are prone to beaks getting longer. But I'm not sure how much is too much and needs attention, and I would probably prefer to save him the trauma and stress.

I'm not sure what you mean by the wound or sore on his beak. Blue and all other blue headed pionus parrots I've seen have a pink/reddish patch on the side beak. I do hope I'm not missing something or that he truly has a health problem. If anyone else is concerned please let me know.

As Blue's proud papa, I do strive to provide him the best care and I can't help but feel a teeny bit defensive. I do thank you for your concern and positive comments.
I'm not an expert of Pionus, but these are my thoughts on his beak. I do think he's beak in overgrown. I think the "sore" what others see is just normal colouration on pionus' beak but I think it a bit off and spread out more than normal. Probably due to the fact its over grown.

I would totally recommend going to a vet, as I believe occasionally an overgrown beak can be a symptom of something more serious going. So its important to rule those things out.

I highly recommend going to for yearly wellness exam if you're not already. These type of things can be easily missed even by the most devoted owners. Honestly I would have missed it too if @Hankmacaw hadn't pointed it out.

I get being somewhat defensive about it too. But I'm glad you're open to advice too. Your bird Blue and fish are stunning :) Great photos!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I also think it would a good idea to get the vet to trim Blues beak.
I understand that it can be stressful but I think it’s better to get it done before there’s a problem with it.
He is a beauty alright and your fish almost look like ornaments they are so pretty!

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
BH pionus are so beautiful! :heart: Regarding his beak, I can see a definite difference between the way his beak looks in your profile picture (it's shorter and tapers to a nice point) vs how it looks now. He may just need to wear it down, but I think a visit to the vet would be a good idea just to be sure nothing else is creeping up on him.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
20191027_051622.jpg
This is a close up of Andre's beak. This is what a normal Blue head Pionus beak looks like.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a bh and fancy goldfish too! Mostly ranchu and some telescopes and orandas.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
That is a wonderful picture of your bird and the fish.