• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Throated Conure regulations by State

FlockFrolo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amy
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on Blue Throated Conures in the USA? Are they legal to own in every state? Do you need a permit for them? There's not a lot of information on the forum about them. Thanks!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To the best of my knowledge only Quaker/Monk parrots are banned in some states in the USA, as they are seen as pests due to them taking over natural habit for our native birds. Permits are only required if you were to sell parrots in the USA. Bringing a parrot into the USA would require a ton of paperwork, permits, quarentines, etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Blue Throated Conures are pretty rare in the US. They are on the endangered species list as Threatened which means they could be subject to any laws that apply to CITES species (happened to Blue Throated Macaws and Golden Conures).

Pennsylvania I know has some pretty strict exotics laws

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers are conures?? I never knew that!
They are not in the pyrhurra or aratinga conure families; "conure" is a loose term essentially synonymous with "parakeet", so they kind of are a conure, but parakeet or parrot is more commonly used for Quaker/Monk Parrot/Parakeets

FlockFrolo

Real Name
Amy
Blue Throated Conures are pretty rare in the US. They are on the endangered species list as Threatened which means they could be subject to any laws that apply to CITES species (happened to Blue Throated Macaws and Golden Conures).

Yes I knew they are on CITES on Appendix 1 and 2 I think. I thought maybe they were rare in the states because of the laws making it hard to get one. I find them the perfect conure being so quiet and people friendly. And I like that they are a bit bigger than the green cheeks.

When I was researching before I thought I read something on here about them being illegal or requiring a permit to have one in some states. But I can't seem to find that thread again so made my own post.

I do own one but I'm in Canada and there are no restrictions on them as far as I know in any province. There are a few breeders in Canada so it's not too difficult to get one up here.

I was talking to someone in America on a different site and mentioned I thought they were illegal there but they said I was wrong. So thought I'd come here to check. When I try to google information it doesn't give me answers and most stuff comes up for blue throated macaw which isn't what I wanted to know about.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I believe they are banned from interstate commerce. Meaning, you can own/breed them but only sell them to someone living in the same state.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt

According to Fish and Wildlife, they are endangered, not threatened: ECOS: Species Profile
Threatened allows for interstate commerce. For example, golden conures were recently downgraded from endangered to threatened and may now be sold across state lines.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
According to Fish and Wildlife, they are endangered, not threatened: ECOS: Species Profile
Threatened allows for interstate commerce. For example, golden conures were recently downgraded from endangered to threatened and may now be sold across state lines.
Thank you! I found conflicting information so my apologies!

FlockFrolo

Real Name
Amy
Thanks for this info!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As they are on the ESA list, not only can they not be sold across state lines without a federal permit, there are a number of states that do not allow them to be owned at all.

FlockFrolo

Real Name
Amy
As they are on the ESA list, not only can they not be sold across state lines without a federal permit, there are a number of states that do not allow them to be owned at all.
That's what I thought. Do you know which states don't allow them? Or where I could find that information?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I have not heard that before. Can you give a link?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I interpret the state lists and refs as pertaining only to those species of animals native to each state?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I interpret the state lists and refs as pertaining only to those species of animals native to each state?
Virginia's specifically says, "or endangered species published by the United States Secretary of the Interior pursuant to the provisions of the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205), or any modifications or amendments thereto, is prohibited except as provided in § 29.1-568. "

That exception is "The Board may permit the taking, exportation, transportation, or possession of any fish or wildlife which is listed by the provisions of this article, for zoological, educational, or scientific purposes and for propagation of such fish or wildlife in captivity for preservation purposes. "

Illinois says: "Endangered Species" means any species of plant or animal classified as endangered under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, P.L. 93-205, and amendments thereto, plus such other species which the Board may list as in danger of extinction in the wild in Illinois due to one or more causes including but not limited to, the destruction, diminution or disturbance of habitat, overexploitation, predation, pollution, disease, or other natural or manmade factors affecting its prospects of survival.

"Threatened Species" means any species of plant or animal classified as threatened under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, P.L. 93-205, and amendments thereto, plus such other species which the Board may list as likely to become endangered in the wild in Illinois within the foreseeable future."

I haven't looked at the others yet, but as the Endangered Species Act covers animals in CITES status, I'm reading it the way @expressmailtome is

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Virginia's specifically says, "or endangered species published by the United States Secretary of the Interior pursuant to the provisions of the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205), or any modifications or amendments thereto, is prohibited except as provided in § 29.1-568. "

That exception is "The Board may permit the taking, exportation, transportation, or possession of any fish or wildlife which is listed by the provisions of this article, for zoological, educational, or scientific purposes and for propagation of such fish or wildlife in captivity for preservation purposes. "

Illinois says: "Endangered Species" means any species of plant or animal classified as endangered under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, P.L. 93-205, and amendments thereto, plus such other species which the Board may list as in danger of extinction in the wild in Illinois due to one or more causes including but not limited to, the destruction, diminution or disturbance of habitat, overexploitation, predation, pollution, disease, or other natural or manmade factors affecting its prospects of survival.

"Threatened Species" means any species of plant or animal classified as threatened under the Federal Endangered Species Act of 1973, P.L. 93-205, and amendments thereto, plus such other species which the Board may list as likely to become endangered in the wild in Illinois within the foreseeable future."

I haven't looked at the others yet, but as the Endangered Species Act covers animals in CITES status, I'm reading it the way @expressmailtome is
But the Virginia exception also says " Any person may, in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws, possess, breed, sell, and transport any nonnative wildlife included on any list of threatened or endangered species published by the United States Secretary of the Interior pursuant to provisions of the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205), as amended, when (i) the federal designation does not specifically prohibit such possession, breeding, selling, or transporting and (ii) the nonnative wildlife is not included on the list of predatory or undesirable animals specified by regulations of the Board adopted pursuant to § 29.1-542. "
Illinois and Kentucky's law seems to ban endangered species, but I have also seen endangered birds for sale in Illinois bird stores so idk how enforced that is. New Mexico's is not totally clear to me.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Very interesting info, in any case.