• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue Parakeet

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Went to the store to get pond food and millet....brought back something small and blue...

She was the plumpest and generally best looking of the blues. Are they sexable visually??
Calling it a she, or at least trying to, I tend to call everything 'he', kinda backwards to how everyone calls everything 'she', lol. She's about 1mo old the kid said, had them in for a few weeks. She's got her flight feathers, not hand tame, no bite, but is a chicken.

How do you tame a flighty bird??
Have her set up in Cypher's travel cage he never uses, it's plenty big for her. We got a big one for over night stays for him, but he ~hates~ the white cage wire. :/
Anyway, set her up with some toys, do they play with toys?? Cypher doesn't. Bowl of water and food, millet sprig and a soft hand towel in the corner to hide in. Covered two sides of the cage with a towel. Wood branch going up the middle and two plastic perches in there as well.
Food's on the ground in the bowl, will she find it?

Cypher was slightly interested in saying Hi, but then he spotted the millet and that was that. No, I didn't let him touch her, just wanted him to see her and say Hi. She's living in the kitchen for now. Another room from Cypher. Named her Iceberg.

Any way to tell age? She's very tiny and feels like I'm holding nothing at all. Maybe 5in total.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful and definitely young.

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
From the bars on the head, I can tell you she is very young. As for sex, I can't tell, as she is so young.

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks. I did some research and found out how to sex and age them based on nose skin color, iris color and head baring. Pretty neat.
Thanks yall.
Iceberg let me pet her, read about clicker training, but I think sheneeds to eat and get comfortable before I try it.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very very cute...

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What cutie! :heart:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Very cute :)

I'm thinking its a girl but she's so young its hard to tell!

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ugh, she seems so in need of a friend, wanting to interact with my GCC when she sees or hears him on me. =(
Makes me want to get her one of her own to make friends with. Idk how my conure will do, he loves biting toes, not a good way to start making friends.....

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Well, I can pet Iceberg all over, just stands there frozen, won't take food. How long until she/he relaxes enough to want to interact with me in some way or move and not be frozen?

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Why are they called 'budgies' when they're parakeets??

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Should I get Iceberg another Parakeet as a friend? Will that ruin taming her and making friends with my GCC??

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Well, I can pet Iceberg all over, just stands there frozen, won't take food. How long until she/he relaxes enough to want to interact with me in some way or move and not be frozen?
It could be a few days, a few weeks or even a few months. You should stick to petting the head area only.

Why are they called 'budgies' when they're parakeets??
They're both. Parakeet means any small parrot with a long tapering tail. As such, budgies, rosellas, cockatiels, conures, ringnecks and other species can be considered "parakeets".

All budgies are parakeets but not all parakeets are budgies.
All tigers are big cats but not all big cats are tigers.

Should I get Iceberg another Parakeet as a friend? Will that ruin taming her and making friends with my GCC??
He would probably enjoy another friend, and it may help him settle in better, however it may also be a little harder to tame him. It depends on how to try to tame him as to how easy it may be. As I showed in the videos, it is possible to start the taming process with more than 1 bird. I had 5 budgies!

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Never mind....Husband thought he could play with him while I wasn't home. He flew away. I was going to trim his wings Monday when we would of both been home so he could hold the bird for me....

=(

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He ate some millet from my fingers last night. =(

It could be a few days, a few weeks or even a few months. You should stick to petting the head area only.

They're both. Parakeet means any small parrot with a long tapering tail. As such, budgies, rosellas, cockatiels, conures, ringnecks and other species can be considered "parakeets".

All budgies are parakeets but not all parakeets are budgies.
All tigers are big cats but not all big cats are tigers.

He would probably enjoy another friend, and it may help him settle in better, however it may also be a little harder to tame him. It depends on how to try to tame him as to how easy it may be. As I showed in the videos, it is possible to start the taming process with more than 1 bird. I had 5 budgies!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so sorry. Aren't you going to make an attempt to find him?

secuono

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
There's no chance to catch it. Fully feathered, terrified of humans and we're out in the country, tons of trees for it to fly to and never be able to catch it.
I did follow him [I heard him tweeting in a tree near the barn] until he flew away from the property. Was hoping he'd tire out and fall to the ground or low in a tree. But no, he just kept going higher and then flew up the road until I couldn't see or hear him any more...