• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blue-green macaw/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

proctorr55

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
rob
I have had a macaw for about 8 yrs,she was not in a good home and we took her in. she loves rock and heavy metal music,she will bob her head and try to jump,and dance a little.. she does not speak and she is very agressive. I have tried everything to make friends with her but only every now and then she will let me pick her up. usually if she is outside and wants to come in. 99% of the time I have to transport her by stick.
she is about 25-30 yrs old..does anybody have ideas on helping her hangout with me and be a little more friendly,she absolutely hates my wife and kids from day one. and it seems like she will tolerate me as long as I don't pressure her. I use treats when I am with her,too try and make her realize I am a friend,but most of the time she will take the treat and then throw it at me..( dang bird ).. any ideas...:confused:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have had a macaw for about 8 yrs,she was not in a good home and we took her in. she loves rock and heavy metal music,she will bob her head and try to jump,and dance a little.. she does not speak and she is very agressive. I have tried everything to make friends with her but only every now and then she will let me pick her up. usually if she is outside and wants to come in. 99% of the time I have to transport her by stick.
she is about 25-30 yrs old..does anybody have ideas on helping her hangout with me and be a little more friendly,she absolutely hates my wife and kids from day one. and it seems like she will tolerate me as long as I don't pressure her. I use treats when I am with her,too try and make her realize I am a friend,but most of the time she will take the treat and then throw it at me..( dang bird ).. any ideas...:confused:
I have macaws like this also and in that age range!:rofl:
Look, you need some quiet one/one time a little each day to work with her....TRUST is hard to get when a bird is from a bad background...talking softly and your body language slow down is very important....as for the wife and kids ( I would say she is afraid of them) work getting her trusting you and then onto the wife...kids will be out the door to school etc over the next years and as they reach maturity, will understand on how to act around the bird...
Do you have her outside?????
Can you give us more information?
Also would love for you to go the Welcom Lane and introduce yourself....WE love to give our new members a big welcome to the Neighborhood!
Welcome Lane - Avian Avenue Parrot & Other Birds Message Board
OH and don't forget the pictures also....:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Some people have had success doing things like sitting next to the bird and doing things like reading to them just so the bird can see you in a relaxed state. I don't own any big macaws, so I can't be of too much help but hopefully someone with big guy experience will come along :)

Status
Not open for further replies.