• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blue front amazon doesn't sit on the eggs all the time

Dr.Death

Moving in
HI, I have pair of blue front amazon, and the female lay one egg for the first time, but after one week it stopped sitting on it, and I found the egg have a crack on it, so I remove it, and the female lay again two eggs, but every day afternoon she exit the nest box and return to it at night and stay all the night and morning time until afternoon.

not sure is this a normal behavior of the amazon, or they still young and don't have experience yet?
BTW the weather in the afternoon is very hot now aday it reach 40°c

Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is she?

She might just not be in the mothering mood? Lol

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amazons can be easily distracted. Is she in a place where there isn't a lot of activity or people coming to check on her all day? When I used to breed amazons, I only went in the room twice a day for as little time as possible during incubation. Morning to feed breakfast and evening to change water and feed again. I was usually only in there for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes each time with the longer time being every few days to clean. My female came off her nest every time I opened the door and tended not to go back in the nest until I left.

Dr.Death

Moving in
Their cage in a good spot outside the house, and at afternoon there is no one go near them, now a days I notice she don't get out the box like before, her eggs supposed to hatch withen this week. Hop everything goes right.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
It must be the picture because my female BF looks totally different than yours.

Dr.Death

Moving in
Now the eggs complete more than 30 days, I checked them and sadly they were bad. Not sure if they were not Fertilized or the fetus was dead from the first week's. 20200517_175711.jpg 20200517_174703.jpg

Elchippo

Moving in
Real Name
Andy
Hi, we have 2 BF Ava (5) and Roco (4) Ava is sitting on her eggs most of the time, we have a hard time when we go in, they are guarding and want to attack us! they are due to hatch on June 9th, we noticed the first egg just after it was laid, but not sure on the quantity now, just can't get close enough. we tend to do as you with food drink and clean. But with it being the first time for us, we feel we won't know what to do and what to have in re type of food etc or anything else we may need, just praying that we don't need to be doing too much!! i would appreciate your comments and any help if possible, we have had them now just over two years, they have the run of the conservatory with two open top cages, free standing perch with water / food bowl and tray below, Ava is a great flyer but Roco doesn't for some reason, just commands from where he stands!

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, we have 2 BF Ava (5) and Roco (4) Ava is sitting on her eggs most of the time, we have a hard time when we go in, they are guarding and want to attack us! they are due to hatch on June 9th, we noticed the first egg just after it was laid, but not sure on the quantity now, just can't get close enough. we tend to do as you with food drink and clean. But with it being the first time for us, we feel we won't know what to do and what to have in re type of food etc or anything else we may need, just praying that we don't need to be doing too much!! i would appreciate your comments and any help if possible, we have had them now just over two years, they have the run of the conservatory with two open top cages, free standing perch with water / food bowl and tray below, Ava is a great flyer but Roco doesn't for some reason, just commands from where he stands!
You may wish to start your own thread about this situation so you get better responses for your particular situation.

Do you have everything that you need ready in case you need to pull the chicks and raise them? Were your birds parent raised and have you bred before? These questions will hopefully give a bit more detail for the members who are able to offer you some support and advice :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You may wish to start your own thread about this situation so you get better responses for your particular situation.

Do you have everything that you need ready in case you need to pull the chicks and raise them? Were your birds parent raised and have you bred before? These questions will hopefully give a bit more detail for the members who are able to offer you some support and advice :)
Nevermind...... I see you already did start your own thread :)

Elchippo

Moving in
Real Name
Andy
Nevermind...... I see you already did start your own thread :)
Thank you, i will look to start a thread, No we don't have things prepared as we don't know what we need, we know Ava was parent raised, but don't know about Roco, we have not bred before, we got Roco from a private sale just over 2 years ago and about 6 months later got Ava for as company for him, and they hit it off pretty well!